VOGONS

486 needs identification :)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

L2 is enabled in BIOS. Are there any board revisions that are known to have the COAST slot not connected? I can understand them doing the fake cache to trick people but I don't see the point of faking the slot to. Something is connected since it can apparently detect if there's a stick inserted.

Reply 22 of 31, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Can you show a photo of your cache stick?

acually I have an image of it up on my blog here http://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2012/ … windows-3-1-pc/. if you scroll down. The connectors are a little "rubbed off" at some points and at this point I'm starting to think maybe that's the issue. I've tried gently cleaning it. Any way to restore pin connectors? Or recoat them?

Reply 24 of 31, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That seems to be the most logical cause for the issue. There is a pin or 2 that it seems a bit of the copper color coating on the pin is wore off. Is there any way to restore this? Looks like I'm back to searching for a coast module, though I guess I do prefer seeing that 256k cache message on post rather then that mocking "write back cache"....though not $40 bucks worth like.

Reply 25 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try cutting a thing strip of copper tape. When I was working at a semiconductor crystal growth company, we used copper tape as a quick fix-all for characterisation. If the chopper slips up upon insertion, you could use a thin dab of electrically conductive epoxy and clamp down the copper. But if you are going to the hassle using electrically conductive epoxy, you could also try clamping and gluing down some aluminum foil for the contact pad.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 26 of 31, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

1253428-1253079_rim_shot_johnny_utah_super.jpg

But seriously, a thin application of solder on the contacts will restore a firm connection. If you practice a bit, you can get it really thin and even. try an old pci card. just dont let connections cross

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 27 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hah!

It is really easy to get copper tape or epoxied aluminum foil thin. I didn't want him to risk getting the solder too thick and over flexing the female side of the cache slot. If you use solder though, be sure to scrape off the excess flux with an xacto knife.

Maybe you can show a photo of your damaged stick?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 28 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/6733/1253428-1253079_rim_shot_johnny_utah_super.jpg […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:

1253428-1253079_rim_shot_johnny_utah_super.jpg

But seriously, a thin application of solder on the contacts will restore a firm connection. If you practice a bit, you can get it really thin and even. try an old pci card. just dont let connections cross

Where's the pirate monkey video when you need it?

Here it is.

94941-monkey-sigh-rimshot-gif-drums-K5UJ.gif

Reply 29 of 31, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i shall try to get a better picture in the next few days

that monkey image, its funny cause its like my brain almost tricks myself into thinking i'm actually hearing the symbol crash even though there no sound cause i expect it so much. i even turned my volume up for a second to make sure i wasnt really hearing anything.

Reply 30 of 31, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found a 486 L2 cache card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121299423879

its a lot auction, and the bottom one is the one you are looking for.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 31 of 31, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those 486 cache sticks too.. They really dont work in pentium boards.. But fry the board or cache stick, no.. The board wouldnt just accept it.

~ At least it can do black and white~