VOGONS

First post, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this socket A system:
-Epox mb with nforce 2 chipset
-Barton 2500+(1,8ghz) overclocked to Barton 3200+ speed(2,2ghz)
-1 gig ddram
-nvidia 7600gs 512 mb agp videocard
-os windows xp sp3

Modern internet especially flash stuff,youtube etc. runs slow on this config.
Is there a better platform from Amd or Intel ? that will allow to use my ddram and agp videocard and will give better performance in todays internet?

Reply 1 of 39, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Socket 939 is what you're looking for.

A nice Athlon 64 X2 @ 2200MHz (the 2400MHz models have a higher tdp) and a motherboard with K8T800 Pro or nForce3 Ultra chipset.

An Athlon 64 is also a step up, but not recommended. If you do go for that, you'll want one with a Winchester or Venice core and a 1000MHz Hypertransport bus (3000+ or 3500+ model)

Edit;
Athlon 64 FX-57 @2800MHz is the fastest single-core.
Athlon 64 FX-60 @2600MHz is the fastest dual-core.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 3 of 39, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't those offer really crappy performance when it came to AGP? I seem to recall something along those lines.

Here's one of those socket 775 boards; http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4 … ATA2%20R2.0&s=n

A look on ebay sets the prices for those boards between 40 and 70 Euro's. For that kind of money you can probably get a socket 939 processor with cpu.

Reply 4 of 39, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NitroX infinity wrote:

Didn't those offer really crappy performance when it came to AGP? I seem to recall something along those lines.

Here's one of those socket 775 boards; http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4 … ATA2%20R2.0&s=n

A look on ebay sets the prices for those boards between 40 and 70 Euro's. For that kind of money you can probably get a socket 939 processor with cpu.

I don't see why it would be crappy, it's just a VIA chipset with regular AGP 8x

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1974/8

939 CPUs are not really comparable to 2.4GHz+ Core 2 Duo/Quad

but obviously, an upgrade from k7 to k8 dual core is huge, for current web browsing, flash video and so on... but if you go for full HD flash and no GPU acceleration 2ghz k8 dual core can struggle a little.

Reply 5 of 39, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't say it is crappy, I asked if it was 😉

I seem to recall there were agp problems with certain ASRock motherboards from that time period. I don't know if it were these though.

Reply 6 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to choose the socket 939 platform then,that asrock mb it's rare and too expensive and i don't want to invest a lot of money into this system.

Reply 7 of 39, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last thing I invested in Socket A was the upgrade to a Radeon 3000 series AGP video card. This one: "Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 512MB DDR2 AGP".

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 39, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NitroX infinity wrote:

I didn't say it is crappy, I asked if it was 😉

I seem to recall there were agp problems with certain ASRock motherboards from that time period. I don't know if it were these though.

Those "AGP/PCIe" combo boards were minefield - if they use the VIA PT800 family chipset there's a good chance that everything will work just dandy (as advertised), but there's plenty of "pretenders" that will have not-quite-AGP slots sold as "AGP Express" or "AGI" or whatever else, and yes the performance is usually awful (so is compatibility). Same goes in reverse - some of those boards only offer PCIe x4 (and that's 1.0) plumbing for the PEG slot, which is also usually pretty abysmal.

As far as the AthlonXP here - Athlon64 would be a good place to go - even Socket 754 systems with an nForce 3 would be a substantial improvement, but the Socket 939 dual-cores would be the most notable improvement. If you want to go with Intel, the later-era Pentium 4 (like Cedar Mill) wouldn't be a bad choice, nor would the second-gen (900 series) Pentium D; this isn't a dismissal of the 90nm chips, they just tend to run hot and use a lot of power (I think there's at least a few with 150W TDP).

Personally though, if this is the "only system" that Nahkri has, I'd suggest dumping DDR and AGP altogether and getting something newer - you'll end up with a system with more RAM (1GB of memory is honestly not "good enough" for a general browsing box these days, unless you're going to dump Windows), a much faster multi-core CPU, and a more modern GPU that will handle multimedia acceleration better (remember that on GF7, the video decode acceleration is only partial, and many of those cards did not ship with HDCP support either). Keep the Socket A machine together with Windows XP for running older games/applications that don't play as nice with modern DX11 hardware. Going with something brand-new is probably most cost-effective in terms of price/performance as well - just snag an FM2 board with one of the AMD A-series chips and throw 4-8GB of memory in there and you should be set; and that's probably under $400 built.

Reply 9 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is your budget? You can get quite decent motherboard CPU combos on eBay provided you have all the other parts.

I would look at much more modern stuff. Phenom II gear for example sells for very little money.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 39, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what the prices are where you live, but here in the Netherlands, you can get a new low-end socket 1150 platform for less than €125 including shipping;

Intel Celeron G1820 ~€35
ASRock H81M-DGS ~€40
1x 4GiB DDR3-1600 ~€35

Total; about €110 without shipping costs.

For about €50 more you can get a bit better system;

Intel Pentium G3220 ~€50
ASRock B85M-HDS ~€50
2x 4GiB DDR3-1600 ~€60

Total; about €160 without shipping costs.

Both are without a videocard but have onboard gpu's which should be able to handle basic stuff.

Not saying you should buy this, just saying; don't pay too much for a socket 939 platform.

EDIT; as for performance, these should both be better than your current system.

Edit2; Similar priced AMD systems;

AMD A4-4000 ~€35
ASRock FM2A55M-HD+ ~€40
1x 4GiB DDR3-1600 ~€35

AMD A6-6400K ~€55
ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ ~€45
2x 4GiB DDR3-1600 ~€60

Reply 11 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As i said this is not my main computer,for what i need it,it works just fine,i just wanted a really cheap(and when i say cheap,i mean flea market cheap)upgrade to improve the internet flash experience.
So i,ll be on the lookout for a 939 mb and proc.
I found this mb in the local flea market today,i didn't get it since i wasn't sure about cpu support but seems like a good start.

http://www.ecs.com.cn/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … nuID=16&LanID=0

Reply 12 of 39, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nahkri wrote:
As i said this is not my main computer,for what i need it,it works just fine,i just wanted a really cheap(and when i say cheap,i […]
Show full quote

As i said this is not my main computer,for what i need it,it works just fine,i just wanted a really cheap(and when i say cheap,i mean flea market cheap)upgrade to improve the internet flash experience.
So i,ll be on the lookout for a 939 mb and proc.
I found this mb in the local flea market today,i didn't get it since i wasn't sure about cpu support but seems like a good start.

http://www.ecs.com.cn/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … nuID=16&LanID=0

Personally I'd avoid ECS but otherwise it looks fine in terms of features and compatibility.

Reply 16 of 39, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ECS was making solid boards by mid 2000s, both the SIS 741GX (socket A) and 761GX (754) boards I had from ECS served me well, very stable, even with some small overclocking...

some of their earlier socket A/478 motherboards had more problems.

but even Asus had extremely bad boards during that era, like the A7S266 I had (unstable, ps2 and usb dying and so on)

Reply 17 of 39, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What web browser are you using? If it is firefox then no wonder, can suck hard resource wise even on a new system then again adobe flash is about as dependable as a politician.

I wouldn't bother with ECS or anything from PC Chips, there are hoards of other junk boards but too many to remember. Go with a Good 754/939, if you can deal with the expense just go for a modern build that can support xp.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 39, by Space Cowboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

I wouldn't bother with ECS or anything from PC Chips, there are hoards of other junk boards but too many to remember ...

Hm, my 2 cents here:

ECS K7S5A and L7S7A2 - both socket A boards - both legendary amongst overclockers. I still own my K7S5A, though I somewhat destroyed it with the second capacitor replacement 😀 (it's somewhere in the closet)

In the early socket A era, the essence of overcloking was to get a cheap board/CPU, and squeeze every single Mhz out of it.

K7S5A with the cheepoman/honeyx BIOS allowed a 147FSB by the time VIA was selling their KT133A chipset. I remember I ran a 800Mhz Duron @ 1000Mhz with pencil mod. Later on, I got an Applebred Duron for the 147FSB for almost 2000Mhz (I had a T-bred too, but I wanted to follow the cheapo way). It was sable with 2x512MB RAM. It was insane ...

There were all sorts of mods for it - Vcore, Vdim, I even remember somebody made a mod to allow choosing cpu multiplier (lots of soldering)

It is very different now, looking back in time, cause today, we all try to get the "cream" of a specific time period.

And yes - ECS/PC Chips/Elitegroup (no matter what name you choose for them) are not what Abit, or Epox or DFI were.

But ECS was cheap and offered respectable performance. Darn, the K7S5A was a 40$ MB.

Whats the fun in overclocking a 200$+ motherboard 😀

Reply 19 of 39, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

What web browser are you using

I tried firefox,chrome and internet explorer,browsing is fine on all of them,just when i run flash on it,proc usage is 100%.

I personally have no issues about using mb from cheaper manufacturers,over time i had mb from chaintech and soltek and they gave me no trouble,had a friend that had a ecs K7S5A,also without problems,my ss7 build uses a jetway mb and it runs fine.
Yes they not as performant and don't have as many features as mb from bigger brands,but they not that bad,i had a friend who back in 2000 bought a Asus A7V socket A motherboard and had much more troubles with that board,then i had with a cheaper Soltek 75KV+ socket A mb.