VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This got me thinking...

I don't have the CPUs yet, but when checking the CPU support list they only go down to 2.0 GHz or so.

But what about the models with 1.8, 1.6 and 1.4 GHz? Will they "just work?"

Has anyone got experience with such chips on newer boards?

Worst case I would have to source an older board with older chipset, which I'd like to avoid if possible 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 24, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least the Asus P4P800 does support them: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx? … en&m=p4p800&p=1

With a beta BIOS and the CT479 adapter you can even use Banias and Dothan CPUs. 😈

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully the other boards will be the same 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding Willamette: in a lot of cases (based on experience) - no they do not "just work" in newer boards. Willamette requires higher core voltage than Northwood and later and a lot of later-era boards will fail to boot/start with a Willamette installed (I've *never* seen it kill a board though - seen a lot of no-boots though). IME if it isn't explicitly listed as supporting either Willamette or 1.75 vCore it probably won't boot or work. I've had the best luck with 845-based boards and Willamette 478.

Northwood is a different beast entirely, and should "just work" even if you have one of the rare <2.0GHz chips (they only go down to 1.6; Willamette are available from 1.3 up to 2.0).

If you haven't bought a board/CPU/etc yet, I'd either stick to Northwood if you're going with Socket 478, or move onto the Socket 423 platform if you really want Willamette for some reason (yes this will probably also mean RDRAM; but I'm assuming if you really want the Willamette it's for historical reasons so RDRAM kind of "completes the set"). Oh, and Willamette chips tend to be pretty poor overclockers.

Reply 4 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info!

I'll update this thread once the CPUs arrive and I had a chance to try them.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would be helpful/good info to have if you can test and confirm Willamettes working on anything - my 2.0 refuses to die so I figure I gotta keep tabs on what boards and other accessories I can provide for it; I figure if it wants to live forever, who am I to stand in the way?

Reply 7 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BastlerMike wrote:

I can confirm that Asrock P4i65G supports all kinds of Pentium 4 Processors
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/p4i65g/

I have that board and while it does list a lot of different Pentium 4 CPUs, it doesn't list the very slow ones:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P4i65G/?cat=CPU

I really want to go all the way down to 1.4 GHz for my Voodoo 2 scaling project to compare it against the fast PIII Coppermine and Tualatin S CPUs.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BastlerMike wrote:

Not listet doesn't mean that they are not supported. I see no reason why they shouln't work. Have you already tested the slow ones on that board ?

They haven't arrived yet 😀 I just wanted to see in advance if anyone has attempted something similar.

The slowest I have is a 2.4 GHz Northwood which works in all boards.

I checked the Aopen AX45F-4DN and this one indeed only supports Northwood: ftp://asftp.aopen.com.tw/pub/eig/mb/ax45f4dn/ … 45f4dn-eg-e.pdf

Voltage up to 1.6V.

It does list multipliers from 8x to 28x, so it seems all Northwoods should work, as the multiplier will be set automatically.

The Asrock does list Willamette, so it must support the higher voltage.

Oh well, only time will tell 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went through all the CPUs and had one 1.6A Nortwood 😀

Put in the Asrock and everything works fine. Correct clock, BIOS detects it as 1.6 and Voltage is fine as well 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 24, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GIGABYTE 8IE533 with the brookdale chipset(i845E) is fine with the willamettes, i've used various chips in mine from 1.5 willamette to 2.8 northwood with no problems, it'll even run a celeron 1.7(willamette) if you want REALLY SLOW.... 😉

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 13 of 24, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a CT-479 adapter and a single Dothan CPU on a supported ASUS mobo, you can actually have the range of (6x 100mhz = 600mhz) to say (11x 249mhz = 2700mhz).... 🤣

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301116585463

At 600mzh Speedsys claims a score of 405 points, i.e. slightly above a Celeron(1) 333mhz. (names it 'PentiumIII', heh...)
Not tested such a setup with any games etc though.

Trying with ES(unlocked) s478 CPU's the resulting range was smaller(14x-24x/1400-3200mhz Celeron), if they at all would run, hence not much point using those I figured. Mind you, 2700mhz on a Dothan is of course mucho 'faster' than 3200mhz on the Celeron, processing wise... 😎
4rvu3l.jpg

Reply 14 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I really want to go all the way down to 1.4 GHz for my Voodoo 2 scaling project to compare it against the fast PIII Coppermine and Tualatin S CPUs.

Not to be a stickler, but the bottom spec Willamette is 1.3GHz - that having been said, iirc the IPC for Willamette is among the worst of anything remotely modern; both Pentium 3 *and* Northwood should do a better job (iirc the P4 didn't actually "pass" the P3 until the 2.0 came out, and even then it wasn't by much - here's the Anand review of the 2.0w: http://www.anandtech.com/show/818/7), so a 1.6-2.0 Northwood should be faster than a 1.6-2.0 Willamette all else the same. What might be easier if you're looking at scaling over time would be Socket 462 from AMD - afaik there's much less issue with compatibility, plus you could just get a mobile XP and run it from whatever it bottoms out at (like 500-600 MHz) up to whatever it wants to stop at (usually 2GHz or better) and you'd be able to isolate the CPU's performance (via FSB and clockspeed) without bringing in other factors (like improvements in memory and memory controllers between ~99 and ~04).

Just a thought I had, given that you're doing this explicitly as an experiment/test situation. OFC you already have the hardware, so going with what you already have is cheaper/easier, and will still give some interesting data (I think Dodge Garage stopped benching V2s with either the pre-XP Athlon or a P3; it'd be very nice to have P4/AXP/etc numbers).

Reply 15 of 24, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread made me want to try my P4C800-E (i875) that wasn't working last time I tested it. Found a BIOS chip and battery for it, hotflashed it in an A7N8X using Xubuntu 14.04 and Flashrom from the repo. Great succsess! Now I'm running a Pentium 4 1.7GHz "Willamette" in it. 😀 I really want to buy a CT-479 that gave me much fun with Dothan CPUs on my P4GD1 and P4C800-E nearly nine years ago.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea with Nortwood I can test from 1.6 GHz all the way to 3.2 GHz in 200 MHz steps. That will keep me busy and generate plenty of data 😀

The Tualatin S should slot in underneath nicely. I'll have the 1.4, 1.266 and 1.133 version available. Below that I will test a few 133 FSB Coppermine chips (all of this on a S370 board). And even further down the food chain a good old BX440 slot 1 system with chips in the 233 - 900 MHz range.

Will stick with Intel though. I always pick items that are affordable and easy to source. There is no shortage of Pentium 4 hardware on eBay at the moment. Who knows how it will be in a few years time though.

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 24, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please consider 100 MHz Coppermines for S370 board benching, if available.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 18 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gandhig wrote:

Please consider 100 MHz Coppermines for S370 board benching, if available.

They will be tested in the Slot 1 system (BX440).

My YouTube channel