VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3600 of 53280, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sealed retail boxed Intel SBT2.

Didn't consider this at first, but the front panel connectors are proprietary. There's also some kind of proprietary 10-pin connector, I believe it's required if using a redundant power supply. No idea if it's actually required to boot the board or not. Apparently the board is intended to be used with the Intel SC5000 pedestal case, but I got other plans for it.

Possible specs:
Dual 1Ghz P3 Xeon SL4HF
4GB PC133 ECC
3DFX Voodoo5 5500 PCI
Sound Blaster Audigy
Dual 36GB Quantum SCSI drives

3Q7J8HE.jpg

sUDv9Ev.jpg

5BQJASS.jpg

VekRzKH.jpg

Sealed Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP

GirP8XL.jpg

bIkEq1I.jpg

ASUS PC-DL

Came with a pair of 2.8Ghz Xeons, but I picked up a pair of 3.2Ghz on the cheap, the best this board will officially run. Unfortunately this board only officially supports 533Mhz FSB, but I can probably OC it a bit.

vr0rpJT.jpg

Last edited by m1919 on 2014-04-04, 08:05. Edited 3 times in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 3601 of 53280, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
m1919 wrote:

Didn't consider this at first, but the front panel connectors are proprietary.

Yes, it use propritary front panel.

m1919 wrote:

There's also some kind of proprietary 10-pin connector, I believe it's required if using a redundant power supply. No idea if it's actually required to boot the board or not.

Usualy this kind of boards start ok with ordinary atx psu. I'm had a STL2 board, looks similar, but for dual p3, it work for years with desktop 300w atx psu.
What is interesting, that his rpoprietary redundand psu will now start without server board. It can only start with 1 psu unit, and if you insert second - it power off.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3602 of 53280, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

m1919, you are a man after my heart. <3

edit:

also, the intel manual will tell you pinouts for the aux power connectors. the 6 pin AT style one is likely 3x gnd, 2x 5v, 1x 3.3v otherwise known as the "standard" AMD aux connector.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3603 of 53280, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple of items from the local recycle center. The PS1 I bought for a backup to my existing unit - it was only a few bucks and it's the original model with RCA out which has better audio quality apparently. Both items needed a good clean but work fine:

IMG_5214_zps5bbc2dff.jpg

IMG_5221_zps51e4612e.jpg

IMG_5224_zps0c3b975b.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3604 of 53280, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those early PSXs are highly sought after by audiophiles apparently. They claim it's better than some $1000 hi-fi players. In any event the build quality on them isn't outstanding, they had overheating problems which could cause the laser mechanism to wear out prematurely.

Reply 3605 of 53280, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We literally wore out our first PS1 from hot seating it everyday-meaning my brother would play FFVII for hours and then I would jump on it right after and play Twisted Metal for hours on end. Then came Twisted Metal II, then FF Tactics, Syndicate Wars, Front Mission III, Crono Cross-all of these games countless hours. It got to where the PS1 would only work if it was upside down. Persona finally killed it. Our PS1 operated daily from April 1996 to Jan. 2000 several hours each day-it was the original that took the RCA cables to the back.

Reply 3606 of 53280, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

m1919, you are a man after my heart. <3

edit:

also, the intel manual will tell you pinouts for the aux power connectors. the 6 pin AT style one is likely 3x gnd, 2x 5v, 1x 3.3v otherwise known as the "standard" AMD aux connector.

Unfortunately, the SBT2 manual is pretty useless in that regard. It does not provide pinouts for any of the connectors. The SBT2 manual is pretty much just an integration manual that tells you how to install the board in Intel's SC5000 pedestal case.

Edit: found a specification manual for the SBT2 that has the pinouts for all headers and connectors.

Last edited by m1919 on 2014-04-03, 21:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 3607 of 53280, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@m1919

I found that even after Dell stopped using proprietary voltages and power connectors on their motherboards, that some boards used a different pinout for the buttons and lights on the front panel than what you find on a standard ATX motherboard. It's all just a matter of figuring out what goes where and wiring it up to the front panel of a standard ATX case should be no problem.

Oh,and gratz on the x1950 Pro AGP. That card was legendary for keeping the AGP slot relevant after everyone moved to PCIe. Everyone talks about the HD3850 and HD4670 AGP cards, but those were end of life products for AGP and not particulary fast compared to high end offerings for PCIe. x1950 Pro AGP was still right up there with the fastest Radeons of the time.

Reply 3608 of 53280, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

A couple of items from the local recycle center. The PS1 I bought for a backup to my existing unit - it was only a few bucks and it's the original model with RCA out which has better audio quality apparently. Both items needed a good clean but work fine:

SCPH-1002 right? I found one of those in a local Life Line store as well, last weekend. Not bad, if just to have a convenient place to plug in your light gun! 😉

The CD-Audio thing relates to the DAC, which is supposedly the same DAC found in some high-end Japanese CD players. But to get any measurable benefit from it, you need to bypass the Playstation's output stage, or so I'm told.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3609 of 53280, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
badmojo wrote:

SCPH-1002 right? I found one of those in a local Life Line store as well, last weekend. Not bad, if just to have a convenient place to plug in your light gun! 😉

The CD-Audio thing relates to the DAC, which is supposedly the same DAC found in some high-end Japanese CD players. But to get any measurable benefit from it, you need to bypass the Playstation's output stage, or so I'm told.

Yep that's the one. I'm no audiophile so probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway 😊

I looked into getting a new laser assembly and there are a few listed very cheaply on eBay, but I'm under the impression that some of them won't work with this older model. Do you have any experience replacing the laser on the PS1?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3610 of 53280, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked up a Macintosh SE/30. An SE/30 was on my must have list for a long time but dropped off of it when prices started soaring and the only ones that were reasonably priced needed a recap. I had completely forgotten about it but decided to do a Google shopping search on a hunch to see if any of the auction sites or classified ad sites showed one for sale cheap and in functional condition and managed to score one that worked for the price of one in need of recapping. 😎

Reply 3611 of 53280, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Picked up a Macintosh SE/30. An SE/30 was on my must have list for a long time but dropped off of it when prices started soaring and the only ones that were reasonably priced needed a recap. I had completely forgotten about it but decided to do a Google shopping search on a hunch to see if any of the auction sites or classified ad sites showed one for sale cheap and in functional condition and managed to score one that worked for the price of one in need of recapping. 😎

I'm not a huge mac fan, but I have to say I like the SE/30...it's a great piece of computing history.

Did you get a matching keyboard in good shape to go with it?

Reply 3612 of 53280, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I'm not a huge mac fan, but I have to say I like the SE/30...it's a great piece of computing history.

Did you get a matching keyboard in good shape to go with it?

Yup. Came with keyboard and mouse. I considered getting a Classic II for a while because it's generally a lot cheaper than the SE/30 but the Classic and Classic II were pale imitations of the SE and SE/30. They just aren't the same.

Reply 3613 of 53280, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly, of all the compact macs the SE/30 was the one to get. Why they crippled the newer models like they did... *shrug*

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3614 of 53280, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Classic II, I don't mind that it's not upgradable, because I also have a Quadra 700, which is extremely upgradable.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3615 of 53280, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Macintosh SE/30 in my collection. 32 MB of RAM , 1 GB HDD, and an ethernet card. I recapped it a few months back. You'll probably want to recap yours before the caps leak everywhere. Mine did. I had to replace the analogue board in it about 14 years ago. I actually need to replace the analogue board yet again. I think the issue is mainly with the flyback transformer. Ones with B or C revisions should be a lot more robust.

What I'd really like to find is a Macintosh Colour Classic II. They were only marketed in Japan and Canada, according to Wiki. They were the last of the classic all-in-one Macs. You can, however, get a colour graphics card for the SE/30 and use an external monitor, but that isn't the same.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3616 of 53280, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this in yesterday. HDIDE-038.jpg. The IDE HDD I had in my childhood 80286. It is lightning fast compared to the ST-157A that I had in the childhood PC I found and bought a while ago. It also makes very little noise in comparison. Plus it is natively supported by the BIOS. 😊

Reply 3617 of 53280, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:
Got this in yesterday. http://www.a1usedcomputers.com.au/products/driveside/HDIDE-038.jpg. The IDE HDD I had in my childhood 802 […]
Show full quote

Got this in yesterday. HDIDE-038.jpg. The IDE HDD I had in my childhood 80286. It is lightning fast compared to the ST-157A that I had in the childhood PC I found and bought a while ago. It also makes very little noise in comparison. Plus it is natively supported by the BIOS. 😊

Very nice...I find a lot of the old quantum drives I have to be on the loud side...being quiet and supported natively by the bios is a big bonus.

What is the childhood 286 system that you are going to use it in?

Reply 3618 of 53280, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I have a Macintosh SE/30 in my collection. 32 MB of RAM , 1 GB HDD, and an ethernet card. I recapped it a few months back. You'll probably want to recap yours before the caps leak everywhere. Mine did. I had to replace the analogue board in it about 14 years ago. I actually need to replace the analogue board yet again. I think the issue is mainly with the flyback transformer. Ones with B or C revisions should be a lot more robust.

What I'd really like to find is a Macintosh Colour Classic II. They were only marketed in Japan and Canada, according to Wiki. They were the last of the classic all-in-one Macs. You can, however, get a colour graphics card for the SE/30 and use an external monitor, but that isn't the same.

Apple kept the 8mhz 68000 model in production far longer than they should have. They run System 7.0.1 acceptably, but after that they drag. By the time the Classic came around they should have at least replaced the 8mhz 68k with a 16mhz one. System 7.5 would run a lot better, more like it does on a 020 based Mac II.

As for the Color Classics, everyone wants one to do a PowerPC/Takky conversion. There's one on ebay now upgraded to the max for $1500. That's just nuts and so are the prices for an unconverted one. You might get a dead one that also has cosmetic issues cheaply, but you won't really save anything if you need a lot of parts to make it functional again because even replacement parts aren't cheap. I'd sooner save up for a Twentieth Anniversary Mac or a Mac TV.

Reply 3619 of 53280, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Philips P3238: 80286 12.5MHZ. Sold opin the US as Magnavox 286. 😀