VOGONS

First post, by OnekiKai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, here's the board I mentioned earlier. I don't want to guess/ask for values so I put it up at a penny and threw it to the wind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=181381630319

Reply 1 of 6, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same soundcard and daughterboard here.. It isnt a really great daughterboard from my opinion.. The sound quality isnt super bad either, just not anything special.
And also Diamond monster soundcards are a little bit overhyped.. In the past i had a MX300 one.. The sound isnt bad, but the envoirement sound isnt really great in games.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 6, by OnekiKai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

I have the same soundcard and daughterboard here.. It isnt a really great daughterboard from my opinion.. The sound quality isnt super bad either, just not anything special.
And also Diamond monster soundcards are a little bit overhyped.. In the past i had a MX300 one.. The sound isnt bad, but the envoirement sound isnt really great in games.

Both cards only support A3D which is more positional than environmental. I think A3D 2 started to address environments but Aureal went under before it could take off. The daughterboard itself is among the better waveblaster boards I've ever heard but it has short comings that all Dream based cards do. It's certainly a lot better than the AdMos boards the cheaper Diamond cards had.

Reply 3 of 6, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's interesting is that the GS logo on that ROM chip is actually the legit one. The packaging of my EWS64 XL sports a noticeably fake one. All likely related to this. The early revisions of the EWS64 had a Roland rip-off ROM as well, but they removed it in later versions. The 8MB bank is preferable anyway.

Reply 4 of 6, by OnekiKai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty much. I imagine that's where the name of Dream's "Cleanwave" bank came from...they made their own recordings. I'd love to know how they managed to rip the original sounds. Also, there's a 10MB bank. I used it with a Terratec card.

Reply 5 of 6, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I disagree with Robin on this one; the 4MB Diamond Monster MIDI wavetable board is actually rather good in my opinion. It is one of the more balanced ones, soundwise. And as such a very good alternative for a Roland SCB-55. Good luck selling this card!

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 6 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like this Daughterboard too. Assuming it is practically the same as a Turtle Beach Cancun FX. I prefer the 4MB Dream ROM set from two years earlier, but still. The only problem I have with the cancun FX is that the bass is sometimes too heavy. These daughterboards are very compact for a 4MB set, which is practical for certain system setups.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul