VOGONS

Matrox Millennium and DOS

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have recently bought two Matrox Millennium graphics cards.
One is Millennium 2064 4MB and the other is Millennium 2164 8MB (both PCI).

I read its 3D performance is kinda poor, but that doesn't matter since i want to use them as 2D cards.
Which performs better in terms of output quality and 2D performance?
And should i really replace S3 Virge GX2 with one of them?

Also, if i find them not interesting, what would the the price i could sell them for? 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 28, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have an S3 Trio64V+ (afaik it's the same 2D core as the Virge) back in the days, and upgraded to a Matrox Mystique 220. There was a noticeable improvement in image sharpness, at least at 1024x768 and higher. The S3 card may have slightly better dos game compatability though, or so a lot of people claim, at least when it comes to games like Commander Keen (if you're into those), but I've never had problems with Matrox cards in DOS. I did like my S3 Trio, but preferred Matrox when I got that. I'm a Matrox "fan" though, so perhaps I'm too biased.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 28, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat replies, definitely makes me think about it.
I see that MGA 2164 is called Millennium 2, and apparently has some better things when it comes to 2D and 3D compared to Mystique.

The only kind of game i would be running is probably Duke Nukem 3D and some older side scrollers.
So far i only want to use it as an replacement for an Matrox Ultima i had, that started bugging out (Computer would not start with it some times), because it originally came with it.

I might pair it with Miro Highscore 3D.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind that the Matrox Millennium 2 (and Mystique, they're pretty much the same card AFAIK) will break compatibility with a lot of demoscene stuff and games like Commander Keen 4-6. There was a table that showed this somewhere...

I'd go for it, it generally gives off far better image quality compared to most S3 Virge cards.

Reply 6 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The appropriate S3 card would be a S3 Vision. Since the S3 Trio64 is a consumer card whereas the Matrox Millenium is a high-end 2D card. Of course the value of the 2D image quality of the cards got amplified with newer display devices. With a typical S3 Trio64 with 2 MB DRAM you ran maybe 1024x768 at 16 bit color for desktop or a lower resolution which allows a second graphics page and/or overlays (Trio64V+ UV+).
If you run anything low res, like all this Mode 13h stuff a very sharp image representation makes the graphics look like blocks (imho).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Keep in mind that the Matrox Millennium 2 (and Mystique, they're pretty much the same card AFAIK) will break compatibility with a lot of demoscene stuff and games like Commander Keen 4-6. There was a table that showed this somewhere...

Gona's?
http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

He doesn't really focus on demoscene stuff, that's a great suggestion though...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 28, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I run my S3 Virge at 1024x768 on an LCD monitor and it is plenty sharp. I tried 1280x1024 and it is a little blurry but for a vintage machine I find 1024x768 plenty.

As far as DOS games, tomb raider 1 is playable with a 486 CPU so that is an accomplishment in itself. Doom is fluid and pretty much every other game works fine.

Reply 9 of 28, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

I run my S3 Virge at 1024x768 on an LCD monitor and it is plenty sharp. I tried 1280x1024 and it is a little blurry but for a vintage machine I find 1024x768 plenty.

As far as DOS games, tomb raider 1 is playable with a 486 CPU so that is an accomplishment in itself. Doom is fluid and pretty much every other game works fine.

I actually haven't run any of these cards on LCD screens until recently, and now I have no S3 card to compare my Matrox ones to. My Parhelia was noticeably sharper than my TNT2 Pro on my PIII with LCD screen though.
For my DOS system, I use a CRT, and if I get hold of a cheap S3 Trio, I might have to compare and see if I can still see a difference, or if it was just "new gadget bliss" that caused it back in the days 😁

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 11 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

A post I made some time ago with screenshots from Matrox and S3 PCI cards: Signal output quality difference S3 Virge vs Matrox Mystique

A picture says more than 1000 words 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 28, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still have in mind that the Matrox cards had a pretty nifty RAMDAC and were therefore advanced in the picturequality but they never had enough power for gaming.
That's why later on Matrox specialized on medical picture stuff.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 13 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Solarstorm wrote:

I still have in mind that the Matrox cards had a pretty nifty RAMDAC and were therefore advanced in the picturequality but they never had enough power for gaming.

Yes but toss a Voodoo in next to the Matrox and you have a force to be reckoned with!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15 of 28, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:
Solarstorm wrote:

Yes but toss a Voodoo in next to the Matrox and you have a force to be reckoned with!

Indeed.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 17 of 28, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
vetz wrote:

A post I made some time ago with screenshots from Matrox and S3 PCI cards: Signal output quality difference S3 Virge vs Matrox Mystique

A picture says more than 1000 words 😀

Amen!

Reply 18 of 28, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

The S3 is is a little dimmer (and I notice mine is a little dark too) but other than that I honestly cannot tell the difference

Reply 19 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The OP states replacing his S3 GX2 - how many here are comparing this card to Matrox cards? The GX2 I have is very sharp and bright, and noticeably brighter than older S3 cards I have. It's similar in brightness to my mystique (220) and more compatible. The OP should test these cards in his system - shouldn't be too difficult.