VOGONS

First post, by pleonard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to help from folks on vintage-computer, I'm successfully using a SoundBlaster CT1730 in an IBM PS/2 Model 25, which has 8-bit XT slots. Everything is working, including digital sound, but I'm seeing some visual corruption in mixerset.exe. Screen looks like this:

mixerset25.jpg

Theories as to why this is happening might include:

- Creative never tested SB16-compatible versions of mixerset.exe on 8086 machines? (Diagnose.exe fails as expected but the card is configured via jumpers.)
- Creative never tested their text-mode UI on MCGA?

The disks I used for the install were the standard SB16 from vogonsdrivers. As you can see this is version 2.15. I could upgrade to a later mixerset that might fix this bug, or perhaps downgrade to an earlier mixerset from the SB1.x era? This would probably fail to engage the SB16's specific hardware, however. It's important to note everything works just fine, including adjusting the output gain (set to 4x as you can see). OS is DOS 4.01.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you take a look at the screenshot here, this is how it is supposed to look like on a real VGA :http://i031.radikal.ru/1301/cc/81997ec29367.jpg.

It clearly uses custom text mode fonts and while the mixerset can load custom fonts on a real VGA card, maybe custom font loading is not possible on MCGA cards or the mixerset does not understand MCGA cards as VGA so it does not try to load custom fonts.

That said, maybe they never thought someone would put a 16-bit sound card into a computer that only has 8-bit slots and expect it to work, while assuming everyone already has VGA graphics card.

Reply 2 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. the manual says that the card requires a VGA card. So these might be the glitches sub req.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 5, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well yeah MCGA would just use static character roms so tools changing fonts will look messed up. But otherwise it seems to run fine.

Reply 4 of 5, by pleonard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the comments. So I'm thinking an earlier (circa 1989?) version of mixerset.exe would work (pure character mode), but that it would probably fail to engage with the SB16's mixer hardware correctly. ..

Reply 5 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might not answer your question, but you can use command line parameters to set the mixer 😀

The ONLY game I've come across that had issues in text mode is Alone in the Dark, the setup menu. On many cards there is a TSR utility you can run for it to display the correct characters.

Don't ask me for details, I can't remember. But I documented it all here on Vogons, so you might find that thread.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel