VOGONS

First post, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm about to get on of these geforces in the original box, with connectors and such for 30€ plus 5€ shipping (non ebay site).
I don't know if i can relly much on ebay prices as some people think they are selling gold and can go as high as 200 euros and some just sell them for pretty cheap. Prices fluctuante way too much.

What is a fair price for a Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP in your opinion?

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 1 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It would be worth 5,- for me, including shipping 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 20, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

It would be worth 5,- for me, including shipping 😉

Heh, shouldn't a AGP Ultra version of the Geforce 68xx generation be worth more than 5? 😜

Last edited by rick6 on 2014-05-20, 21:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not for me 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 20, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get much better deals than that even on ebay. I wouldn't pay that price. I've noticed these insane BIN prices as well and I don't get it either, but this kind of hardware really isn't that rare or special...

Reply 6 of 20, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

30 euros is not a bad price for one in an original box with all the connectors. For those that don't agree, I think it would be almost impossible to get an ultra in the original box for only 5 euros... 🤣!

It is my understanding that the 6800 Ultra AGP is one of the fastest video cards for late Win98.

If you want to build a nice Win98 box with one of the fastest consumer AGP cards, I would go for it, but in the box does not always mean mint condition. Make sure the card itself is in good shape first if you can.

That said, I did just purchase a 6800GT in great shape for only around $8...but that was from a local eBay seller where I could just go pick it up so no shipping charge and it wasn't the ultra, and it wasn't in the original box!

It all depends how much you really need/want a card of this type.

Reply 7 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm sure enough people will think it's a great price. Just FOR ME, it is almost worthless...

Reply 8 of 20, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:

If you want to build a nice Win98 box with one of the fastest consumer AGP cards, I would go for it, but in the box does not always mean mint condition.

Well that was my main goal, i'm planing on pairing it with an athlon XP, something above 2000+.

I'm not sure why but the 6800 Ultra AGP always had a mystic feeling for me and i always wanted to get one. The first time i saw a review of one was on Tomshadware when it was released back in 2004 and i was amazed by how powerful it was at the time.

This one comes in it's original box, and since it's in my country and it's 30 euros (29,99€ 😀 ) still with it's accessories i felt tempted. To be honest 6800 GT agp are common on ebay, on the other hand the 6800 Ultra AGP are rarer and tend to get a bit expensive sometimes there.

Here are the photos of the card:

img_221208035_1399663815_pbig.jpg

img_221208035_1399663827_pbig.jpg

img_221208035_1399663837_pbig.jpg

img_221208035_1399663847_pbig.jpg

img_221208035_1399663859_pbig.jpg

img_221208035_1399663870_pbig.jpg

img_221208035_1399663882_pbig.jpg

retrofanatic wrote:

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm sure enough people will think it's a great price. Just FOR ME, it is almost worthless...

And this is want i want from you guys, your honest opinions! Thank you for that and i understood your point.

Reply 12 of 20, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

30EUR is a great price for a box 6800 Ultra,I would pay the same even without the box if I was interested. However, I'd rather go for PCI-E version.

Reply 14 of 20, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

I totally understand. It really is not useful for everybody ..it only fits one specific purpose for me so I can see how it can be pretty much worthless to some but to me it makes sense if you want to use it for win98 as it was one of the last cards to have win98 drivers.

I am going to pair my 6800 gt with my Asus p4p800 and see how that goes...I wish I had the ultra...I missed a bid on ebay for one a while back and now it's getting a lot more difficult to find at a good price.

I'm sure one will pop up one day but in the meantime I am almost sure my 6800gt will perform more than good enough for most win98 games I will throw at it...and almost anything that needs more video muscle will be run on my xp or win 2000 machine. That's the beauty of having too many old computers I guess.

Reply 15 of 20, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to tap a 6800 Ultra AGP for about 40CAD shipped.

And this was a non-reference WinFast A400 Ultra. Pretty hard to find these cards. The non-Ultra version seems fairly common.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 16 of 20, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Funny you should post this thread just now. There seems to be a glut of 6800 Ultras on eBay at the moment. I just lost one to a sniper - a BFG 6800 Ultra OC for $22. Wasn't in great shape, though.

I wouldn't mind having one just to see the legendary Doom 3 engine performance. My X850 XT PE is probably the better card overall. GeForce 6 series does have PS3.0, though.

PCGames9505

Reply 17 of 20, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doom 3 would be a awesome test i guess. I've tried it at the time with my Geforce 3 Ti and it wasn't so great at medium settings.

I'm thinking about making a dual-boot machine for Win98 and WinXP and install on it some of the most iconic games until 2003\2004, probably some from 2005.

Now my next goal would be a Geforce 8800 Ultra i guess, but those aren't cheap as well!

Reply 18 of 20, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a Gainward card; those were very well regarded in their day for overclockability and performance. For 30 EUR it's perhaps a little high all things considered, but it looks mostly complete, and it sounds like you want the specific model so I'd say it isn't too bad. 200 EUR is hilarious for a 6800 Ultra though.

I can speak from experience about the WinFast A400 - the cooler is nothing special at all (I have A400GT, which is the same cooler/board ref as A400 Ultra, it just lacks one of the power connectors and has slower memory); it doesn't run all that much cooler, and the fan is not reliable. Zalman VF-700 performs better, is quieter, and makes for a much lighter card.

As far as games - I remember Doom 3 being very playable with high-ish settings on the 6800GT, and I remember Carmack talking about how Doom 3's "Ultra" setting required a 512MB card. The 6800GT couldn't quite do "Ultra", but a few years later my 256MB 7900 had no problems with it. 🤣 Games from 2005 and later will be kind of a mixed bag with GeForce 6 (especially with the AthlonXP and its lack of SSE2/3) - it technically meets the system requirements of *a lot* of games up through at least 2010, but certain features (like HDR) will incur massive performance penalties compared to later cards. For UT2003 or Doom 3 though, it should be perfect.

swaaye: I thought the "Ultra Extreme" was only available as a 256MB AGP board (and is/was very rare), while the 512MB variant was commonly a PCI-E part (and iirc most of those ended up in Macs).

Last edited by obobskivich on 2014-05-21, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maximus wrote:

GeForce 6 series does have PS3.0, though.

SM3 on NV4x is quite slow. Kind of useless.

R5x0 is the architecture you want for SM3. Either that or DX10 unified shader cards.