VOGONS

External Drive Enclosure

Topic actions

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, not having any luck finding one with web searches and eBay. So I thought I'd ask here 😀 I used to have a small metal case, it had room for 4 drives. It was designed to house SCSI devices including Tape backup and/or CD-ROM drives (had removable panels.) It had no electronics except for a small power supply that did not need a motherboard to power on (just hit the switch like old computers.) There was a small opening in the back for running the SCSI cable. What I want is to house a 3.5" and a 5.25" floppy drive with my Kyroflux board. Instead of running a SCSI cable, I'll run a USB cable. All I'm finding are micro-cases that are rather more expensive that I think something like this should cost. Or things that are much larger than I would like. In both cases they come with power supplies that I would have to hack to get to work. Any help in finding these would be appreciated. Though I won't be doing anything until after the move, I'd sort of like to have sources lined up.

Thank you 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An external SCSI CD-ROM might work - just gut the drive out and re-use the enclosure. For the 3.5" I think you can still buy free-standing external drives that draw power and data via USB, so that's fairly simple.

I'm thinking of something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RICOH-Model-MP6200S-M … =item1e8c4785c9

You'd still have to figure out how you want to run the cabling for the 5.25" drive - I'm not aware of any USB based models, so you'd have to do some hacking there.

Alternately, if none of those options appeal to you, get a project box that's appropriately sized and cut your own holes into it. 😀

Reply 2 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its for use with my Kryoflux adaptor. It has to be an floppy drive like you would install in a PC. I'd sort of like to have both drives together in one enclosure, too. I may have to end up cobbling together something myself... Or rather getting a friend to cobble something together that I design.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 3 of 10, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask on Vintage Computer Forum and AmiBay as well.

Reply 4 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Ask on Vintage Computer Forum and AmiBay as well.

AmiBay I know, don't know Vintage Computer Forum... Do you happen to have a link?

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, thanks 😀 Those are perfect 😀 A new search term too. Never thought about "tape" enclosures.

Thank you!!!

Feeding Dragon

Reply 7 of 10, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I should warn you, they're heavy pigs. Some of those full-size drives clock in at ~6-10lb by themselves, enclosure not included.

Reply 8 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I don't need the actual drive, if I get one for low enough I would offer to let them keep the drive to sell to someone else and just send me the enclosure & power supply. I save shipping and they get a second chance to get a better sale. 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 9 of 10, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also search for Iomega scsi jazz drives in external enclosures...I've seen plenty of those around over the last few years

Reply 10 of 10, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's going to have to wait a bit now, though. I'm in the process of moving. After the move, I'm saving up as fast as I can. I have a line on a MPU-401AT w/SCB-55 & External MT-32 that I want to get. Then I have some non-functional Amigas I'm also wanting to get up and running. The Kryoflux is a little ways down on my to-do list. Though I'll be keeping an eye out, and if a really awesome deal comes along.... Well, my priority list isn't set in stone 😀

Feeding Dragon