VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know the following about the Smart Array 2SL (Part number 242777-001)
1: Support attaching a battery
2: Max Ram supported

I've looked around but almost all results on 2SL bring up the fact that the next generation of Smart Array controllers where built on the 2SL, Nice to know but useless!

The below pic shows 2 connectors on the top of the card, (not the SCSI connectors) anyone know what they are for...I'm happing the battery?

SA2_SL.jpg

Any other technical sheets would be helpful as well
Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to the Smart-2SL reference manual, the card only supports a 4MB FPM SIMM and no battery. You could try larger ones but it might not do anything.

Reply 2 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks,
I'll will try another stick of ram but think I only have EDO at my other place. Cant hurt
The battery was the more important info. I'm successfully using 5 300GB Ultra 320 drives but the max Raid 5 array size is 514072MB.
(meaning the drives are split into 3 arrays for now)

From what I have found it looks like I need a newer version of the Array Config Utility (which don't support this card) or you can extend the array but that requires a battery.

Should anyone else want the latest firmware, you can download 4.50, create just the first disk from sp18018.exe which can be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp18001-18500

if you get a message saying you need firmware 4.40 or later, You can get 4.48 by create the first disk from sp16276.exe from
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp16001-16500