VOGONS

First post, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

1st post on Vogons, but have been reading bits and pieces and have found valuable help in old thread when setting up my Pentium Dos Time Machine with CF card a few months ago.

Now I am trying to get a recently purchased Tandy 1000SX to run with a XT-CF card and run all the early games which took advantage of the TCGA and 3 voice sound on that system. I am trying to set it up in a similar way to my Pentium machine, with all the games for it on a CF card. I had some problem originally with the CF card and the XT-CF card, but most of that seems resolved now.

However, I am left with a small 32MB hard drive (out of my 256MB CF card). This is the only way I could get it to run and if I understand well, it is due to the Tandy DOS 3.2 disk I am using to set/boot. I have tried setting the card with extended and logical partition all of 32 MB, but that Tandy didn't seem to see them (even if my Pentium did as it was setup there). Now if I could have a way of using a full 256MB or 512MB CF card divided in multiple 32MB drive under Dos 3.2, I would be happy with that. Is it possible?

Or I have read that Compaq Dos 3.31 would be able to see a bigger drive (up to 2GB?). I have the means to transfer that to Floppies and could run the Boot disk on my Tandy and set things up there, would that be a better option? Would I lose TCGA or 3 voice sound by doing something like that? Any other negative/positive?

I suspect getting the games on the CF card would require 512MB if possible, but can be cut down to 256MB if needed I guess. But only one 32MB drive just won't do it... I am a bit loss at how to set this up in the best way, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

fact 1: dos <=3.3 will only handle 32 mb partitions
fact 2: you should be able using it to define more than one of those (up to 8 if i remember correctly?)

An advice that only comes out of personal experience with CF's & XT-CF on such machines: try to partition the cf from scratch ON the machine you are going to use it, using the fdisk program of the dos you are going to use.

Reply 2 of 7, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Konc for your reply and extra info.

Fact 1: Thanks for confirming that 3.2 will only handly 32mb.
Fact 2: My Tandy Dos 3.2 comes with a 2nd disk where Fdisk is. It seem to be Fdisk V1.0 by Tandy 1985. It doesn't seem to allow anything else than 1 partition and that's why I tried to setup the card on the Pentium. There it seem to work obviously (Dos 7.1), but back on the Tandy it could only see the 1st partition of 32mb, therefore not helping me either.
It also seem like I have to originally format the card on the Pentium (dos 7.1) as on when bought they were formatted on windows 7 or else and when on the Tandy the are seen as non-dos partition without space left and can't be deleted (in fdisk anyway). So I formatted them on the pentium in FAT16 and then it seems like I can use them on the Tandy. Hope that explain my thinking/problems a bit more.

Not sure how I could get the 8x32mb partition, but if I could, I would be happy with that.
If someone could help me with that or the give me feedback on the Compaq 3.31 option, that would be great.

Reply 3 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As an initial approach and before trying weird dos versions I would go for a vanilla, official 3.3. I'm not at all familiar with what restricitions 3.2 might have, moreover the tandy version. What I can confirm (having done it recently on an XT with XT-CF, otherwise I wouldn't be so confident about it) is that official 3.3 offers the possibility to define a number of 32MB drives on the extended partition. Good luck, those are the nicest games to play. Don't let frustration drive you other paths just to find a solution, that's half of the fun 😀 I wish I owned a tandy too btw.

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tandy DOS 3.2 comes with a group of special utilities which will allow you to have one bootable 32MB DOS partition and several non-bootable DOS partitions. They are MLPART, MLFORMAT and a device driver called MLPART.SYS would need to be loaded. Or you could use a generic DOS 4.0 or above.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 7, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Konc. I definitely won't let the frustration get the better of me. I am trying to set my gameroom with many old computers and console, all with added mods or multi-cart/floppy emulators and such... It's not an easy road, but the enjoyment of reliving the treasured memories these system have for me is priceless... And the joy of getting a system done and ready to enjoy is part of the fun too! Thanks for your help.

Thanks Great Hierophant for sharing your knowledge with me. When I saw the signature in your post, I was reminded of your blog which I had visited quite a while ago and immediately revisited. Thanks for the specific on MLPART and MLFORMAT, I have them on my disk and didn't know anything about it before you mentioned it. So definitely an option... However, I would prefer a all-in one card and if possible a bigger one than 256mb. From what I understand of your long post about Tandy 1000's, you were using Dos 5.0 on a 2GB card, is this right? How is that working? You mention that you added a few Tandy dos element to your install and config files, would you be able to share these tweak with me? Any disadvantage about this? You mention an amount of free memory which might be a bit lower, as this caused any problems with many games not loading for example. Please enlighten me more. Thanks again.

Reply 6 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My hard disk controller supports hard drives no larger than 504MB, so having a hard drive much larger than that just wastes space.

If you use a more advanced version of DOS, like MS-DOS 5.0-6.22, you will have less conventional memory available because the OS takes up less RAM. This is on top of the RAM taken for video memory, which is 16KB for DOS. However, any game likely to run playably on an SX is not going to refuse to run because of memory. You should have something close to 570KB free.

The only crucial file you should take from your Tandy DOS 3.2 disk is the MODE program. This program can set the processor speed and the number of vertical lines displayed in text mode (200 vs 225) on a Tandy.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 7, by spaceman73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again. With the help of a friend, memory has now been upgraded from 384k to 640k and DOS 5.0 is now installed and running on my 256MB card. Now the fun of finding which games work begin...!