VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an IBM 5x86-133 system setup with a PCI ATI Rage 128 VR card. The display driver works fine in Win9x using the IBM 5x86-133.

In WinNT 4.0 and W2K, I get BSOD upon reboot after installing the drivers. I tried every driver revision I could find. Normally, I would conclude that this graphic card's drivers were not written to support 486's in NT4 and W2K, however if I swap out the CPU for an Intel DX4 or an AMD DX5, the same drivers work flawlessly. As a troubleshooting measure, I turned off all Cyrix 5x86 special features and dropped the speed down to 3x33, but I continue to get BSOD's upon boot. Again, swapping the CPU to Intel/AMD causes the machine to boot without problem. Using a Matrox graphics card/drivers work fine in NT4/W2K using the Cyrix 5x86 CPUs.

Does anyone know how to correct this issue with the Rage 128 driver? I was planning on using the Rage 128 VR in a dual boot, Win9x - WinNT4 machine, and in particular, on my 2x66 IBM 5x86-133 system.

I have a theory that there is a bug in the ATI drivers whereby it assumes a Cyrix 6x86 chip when it sees a Cyrix 5x86, or perhaps when it sees "CyrixInstead" and assumes Cyrix 6x86. Is there any way to disguise my IBM 5x86 chip as an ordinary 486?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.