VOGONS

First post, by comradesean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tools and a replacement RTC shipping next week so I'm not too concerned about what I do to the current chip, but I'm currently trying to temporarily hook up a 3v battery to at least test out these hdds I purchased off eBay.
The problem is that I don't have a soldering iron handy so I'm currently limited to more destructive measures here and unfortunately the side with the battery's connectors is blocked by an ISA slot.

I want to preface this by saying that I saw some pictures earlier that showed what looked like the outer casing being cracked open so I thought maybe I could just crack the whole thing apart and work my way over to the other side. Here's the result. I can't seem to find an inside to the shell and the casing just seems to keep going deeper. Have I ruined it yet or can I still get the result I want by cracking the case over to the other side?

http://imgur.com/a/eIGMG

Reply 1 of 5, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would try the same as on the dallas on location pin 16 and 20.

Attachments

• ds1287rw.gif
    Filename
    ds1287rw.gif
    File size
    7.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 5, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having an industrial PC failing with RTC battery flat.
It is an SGS M48T86, i am grinding it down from the side of those Dallas modification.
I found the battery and measures only 0,5v so the chip really needs relative low energy to preserve settings, that might be the cause they lasted so long anyways.
I have some 486 from back in 1994 and those RTC still working.
The battery on the SGS is somewhat between pin 15 and 17.
I will grind it out gently and take out the battery as a whole, the rest is just hard plastic filler.
The rest of the important components would be resting at the bottom probably.

Will let you see some pics in some days, to give an idea.
Too bad they never fit some of those pins to feed power from an external battery.

Reply 4 of 5, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some pics of the work for reference for anyone.
Noth!ng like the Dallas though.

Attachments

• Filename
    P8140011.JPG
    File size
    166.51 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    P8130008.JPG
    File size
    188.54 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    P8130006.JPG
    File size
    185.84 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 5, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm too having problems with Dallas DS1287 on one old 286 board. I can take with the wrong date and settings not being stored... but the board doesn't recognize connected HDDs?

Now I don't know if there is a problem with the board or the BIOS settings not being stored? I even disabled on-board IDE and put ISA I/O card in it. But it still doesn't recognize HDD 😕

I don't want to go through the trouble of hacking the Dallas only to find the HDD still isn't recognized. 😒

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs