VOGONS

386DX is it a good one ?

Topic actions

First post, by somedude192

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found a old computer I think its a 386DX,can anyone tell me more about it,and what is the best OS I can install on it and how,

Can I put a cd-rom in it ? 😕

Also I made a bootable diskette (3.5),but the pc wants to boot from the larger one which is drive A,how would I change it to boot from B drive ?

Filename
IMG1000.jpg
File size
970.2 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Here is the motherboard
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
IMG987.jpg
File size
668.53 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
Here is the computer,with its original keyboard
File license
Last edited by somedude192 on 2014-08-10, 20:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to switch which floppy to boot from, swap the ribbon cable connectors, the connector after the cable twist is the drive A: one.
You can also do it by swapping the a:/b: jumpers on the drives themselves but swapping the connectors is easiest usually.

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 3 of 23, by nuschii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retrofool wrote:

to switch which floppy to boot from, swap the ribbon cable connectors, the connector after the cable twist is the drive A: one.
You can also do it by swapping the a:/b: jumpers on the drives themselves but swapping the connectors is easiest usually.

Some BIOS have a setting for swapping A and B drives without the need for exchanging the connectors. You could look for something like "Disk Drive Swap" in BIOS setup.

Reply 4 of 23, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

386DX40 with cache and 387 - performance could be around 486DX20/25 level.

NB. 386 support was pulled from Linux some way back, So any attempt to use Linux would need one predating the 3.8 kernel.

Ideal for DOS/Win3.x - Windows 95 CAN be run on a 386, and will install, but unless the RAM is 8MB or better, will be spluttering along on swapfile.

CD-ROM - of course, off an IDE adapter or a soundcard with CD support.

Was that all that was in the case? - there are no onboard features, so it needs an IDE controller (or multi-IO) and a graphics card.

Reply 5 of 23, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WOW nice find! That is a really cool looking computer not to mention the 5.25" floppy diskette drive looks really cool with that lip around the slot. That's a lucky find! Where did you get it?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6 of 23, by somedude192

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got from a friend at work,he said it was used every now and then TO THIS DAY ,that's why the battery still hasn't leaked I guess and is in such nice original condition,also It has a hard and 3 cards(a graphic,parallel and scsi controller)I probably put some better cards in it,as for the motherboard,it is already good enough !

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG1005.jpg
    File size
    794.18 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    the 3 cards
    File license

Reply 7 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What a great find!
I really like the mobo, replace the battery and the whole system is a keeper!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 23, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Non-yellowed case and floppy drives (Ye-data 1.2MB 5.25" especially) are looking cool.

What you have is:

- A nice 386 mobo with an AMD 386DX-33 CPU (strange, since their -40 processors are much more widespread), a matching IIT mathco, some amount of cache, and a non-leaking battery. You don't need to replace the battery, but you can just remove it. The 4-pin connector (with a missing pin) besides the power connector is an external battery box connector. You can find a 4xAA battery box just for this purpose.

- Trident 9000 VGA board with 512KB memory. Drivers for this (windows 3.1/3.11) is available in Vogons Library. You might want to find a better card though, at least with a 1MB memory (1024x768 in 256 colors needs that much at least)

- A floppy/HDD controller card and a multi I/O card. I don't know if you have the serial port bracket on the case, but in any case, the two headers on the top back corner of the I/O card are for serial ports (named as ASYN1 and 2)

- You can add a CD-ROM drive of course. Your exisiting controller has only for 2 IDE devices, so you can add a CD-ROM if you only have a single HDD. Be carefull about slave/master jumpers, since those old HDD drives has sometimes not only slave/master settings but a third option which is "master with a slave drive". You can also add a sound card with IDE header as a second option for CD-ROM drive.

- I don't know how much RAM do you have on that board but you can easily have 64MB since OWC still has 16MB 30pin SIMMs. You need to populate 4 banks, since the board will require you to do so (16 x 4 = 64)

- Your best bet will be MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows 3.1. You can even find a ISA Ethernet card and prefer WfW 3.11 for network capability. It's fun to connect to the internet and browsing the net with IE5.5 or Netscape 4.x..😀

An absolutely great find. Please don't hesitate to ask away anything, I love those 386 machines and I recently completed two builds already, so I have some fresh information on how to deal with most of the things...😀

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 23, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I slipped up, saw AMD 386 and assumed 40.

If you can find a card that does ALL the IO (IDE, floppy, serial & parallel) then it would be one less card.

From what I managed to look up on the winbond chips, it looks like the serial is single character buffered, ok for lower speed - maybe up to 19.2k, but for faster serial speeds the Windows 3.x update for the 16C550 came into its own - serial chipsets in that style had a 16 character buffer with a settable interrupt point - and could hold up at 112k/230k speeds for using serial data transfer cables.

With Ethernet, serial speed probably wont be an issue. Place I was at, 3COM Etherlink III's were the standard card.

PS. If you go WIndows for Workgroups 3.11, hopefully the Microsoft TCP/IP support can still be found. Wow still on MS FTP... ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/TCP32B.EXE

Reply 11 of 23, by somedude192

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is a VERY nice case - I like those old cases with the rocker switches.
Where has this thing been the last 15 years bit ti be yellowed? 😀

Well it was sitting in a small room with no windows,hiding under the desk,it was mainly used every now and then for some calculating by some architects,it has 4 sticks of memory ...

How can I make a boot-able diskette for MS DOS or Windows 3.1 ?

Filename
1407754072015.jpg
File size
694.65 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
The inside of the computer
File license
ncmark wrote:

Attachments

Reply 13 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can get disc images from bootdisc.com

At some point you need MS-DOS and Windows installation discs. You can get them second hand or "download" them.

Once you have the MS-DOS discs you could follow my tutorials: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-tutorials.html

It has start-up files ready to download which should make it easy. If you are stuck let us know.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 23, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want I have all the original diskettes for windows 3.1. I could upload copies of them for you.

Reply 15 of 23, by somedude192

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I finally found a good enough monitor for it,a 14 CTX monitor works pretty good

I'm having quite some trouble finding a working pc with a floppy drive where i can write the diskettes,all of my spare floppy drives have sat for quite some time ...

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG1022.jpg
    File size
    649.31 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Complete with monitor
    File license

Reply 17 of 23, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try cleaning the drives out? Blowing all the dust out of the internals with an air compressor and cleaning the read and write heads with alcohol? I've revived drives I had assumed dead by doing this. Btw nice choice of monitor, I have a flat screen CTX monitor that I use with my Packard Bell. Very snazzy.

Reply 19 of 23, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
somedude192 wrote:
Well it was sitting in a small room with no windows,hiding under the desk,it was mainly used every now and then for some calcula […]
Show full quote

That is a VERY nice case - I like those old cases with the rocker switches.
Where has this thing been the last 15 years bit ti be yellowed? 😀

Well it was sitting in a small room with no windows,hiding under the desk,it was mainly used every now and then for some calculating by some architects,it has 4 sticks of memory ...

How can I make a boot-able diskette for MS DOS or Windows 3.1 ?

1407754072015.jpg
ncmark wrote:

Can you tell how much RAM do you have by looking at the boot-up screen or BIOS? These looks like 256KB or 1MB sticks to me, which will make only 1 MB or 4MB rescpetively. If it is 1MB, it is not acceptable even for a 386/Windows 3.1 machine. If it is 4 MB, maybe ok for its time, but barely. I suggest you to go look at this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World% … uting/30PS16MB/

4 of them (a 386DX always need groups of four sticks = 32bit) will make a whopping 64MB, which will be "Ultra Mega Ultimately Ultimate" mem capacity for 386...😀

You can find bootable floppy images all around, even MS-DOS and Windows floppy images in many abandoneware sites. And as someone suggest, putting your hands on a USB floppy drive will help.

Just one thing I need to ask. You said the computer was in use till recently. Doesn't it have a harddisk? Why can't you boot from it?

Another option for you to prepare a bootable CF card and connect it to its IDE controller by using one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Flash-CF-to-3 … =item5d427ad390

IF you can boot the machine with a CF card, you will solve also all your data transfer problems as well. Just don't forget to find a CF card with 512MB capacity max. 386 era BIOSes have problems with harddisks bigger than 512 MB (there are of course solutions to that, too).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000