VOGONS

First post, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just got a pair of Voodoo 2 cards off Ebay, two 12MB STB cards in SLI. I haven't been able to find out anything about this so I'm hoping someone here knows what's going on.

The cards are great. They play the two games I've tried them with fine, except for this one thing. There's these horizontal lines showing up everywhere. As the title says, these aren't black lines from SLI. I've tested the cards together, and both individually, and every time I get the same thing, so it's definitely not an SLI issue if only one card does it, and in my case they both do.

This is what it looks like. (pics from Tomb Raider using the Voodoo Rush patch with the audio patch that someone made so I can hear the music that was left out)

Menu (this picture is probably the best example, this is an LCD screen, not a CRT btw):
IMG_02291_zps32523a0e.jpg

Dark area in level 1 (easier for my camera to pick up, though not the best quality):
IMG_02321_zps20acb9ba.jpg

I've used the latest reference drivers and the fastvoodoo drivers, both have the same result. I've tried this with Tomb Raider and Quake 2 demo. I've noticed on Quake 2, however, that if I turn up the resolution, the lines become less noticeable, if they're even there.

I've tried messing with the settings on the cards but they don't seem to make any difference. I've reseated the cards multiple times, since I had to swap them out to test them.

And on a related note: every time I close out Tomb Raider, the stats for the cards seem to blank out, so I cannot load the game up again, until I reboot the system, as seen here.

Normal (SLI):
IMG_02371_zpsb7ba0157.jpg

After Tomb Raider closes:
IMG_02381_zpsc632c652.jpg

Quake 2 demo does not do this. And on another note, I have two monitors, but no VGA pass through cable for the cards, so my setup is my right monitor is my GeForce, and my left is the Voodoo 2. I doubt that means anything but I thought I'd mention it. I do have a VGA passthrough cable on the way but it'll take a while before it gets here.

Some specs: Windows 98SE, Pentium III @866MHz, GeForce FX 5500 AGP GPU, 2x128MB SDRAM at 100MHz.

Do you guys have any idea what's going on? This doesn't seem normal to me, and will be really unfortunate if it is since it looks pretty horrible.

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
MT-32 | SC-55mkII, 88Pro, 8820 | SB16 CT2230
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 1 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intended feature, it's the 4x1 DAC filter smoothing out the dithering to approximate a 24-bit picture. Most older Glide games activate this. Direct3D and OpenGL (ICD - not MiniGL) games don't activate this.

Thanks for the photos 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 39, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought only the voodoo 3 had the 4x1 "22-bit" filter-- and that voodoo 2s were exclusively 16-bit?

Reply 3 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo Graphics cards always had the characteristic look of blurring 4 pixels to the right per 1 vertical line.

If your voodoo is showing these 'lines' then there is nothing wrong with it 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 39, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Voodoo Graphics cards always had the characteristic look of blurring 4 pixels to the right per 1 vertical line.

If your voodoo is showing these 'lines' then there is nothing wrong with it 😀

Yeah but the 4x1 filtering is exclusive to the 22-bit output from my understanding (as required to simulate more colours), so if the RAMDAC is doing some extra stuff on a voodoo2, it wouldn't be 4x1 filtering it's exclusively 16-bit.

I've never noticed anything like this on my voodoo2, but then again I never use LCDs.

Reply 5 of 39, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, thanks for your responses. I'm not sure if I've noticed any blurring for vertical lines, but that's good to know. I've only noticed these horizontal lines having different colors / brightness. I had no idea these cards did that. I lack a CRT so I don't have a way to see what it would look like on there. I assume it would be the same as your case; not noticing it at all.

Oh, and something I didn't mention. I know that Tomb Raider has a 3DFX logo appear right before the menu, but for some reason it doesn't appear when I'm using the real thing. Is this the work of emulators and there shouldn't be any splash logo? (and I would also like Lara's shadow to come back, guess that's the price of using these cards because the devs couldn't be bothered to add it properly)

Pentium MMX 233 | 64MB | FIC PA-2013 | Matrox Mystique 220 | SB Pro 2 | Music Quest MPU Clone | Windows 95B
3DFX Voodoo 1&2 | S3 ViRGE GX2 | PowerVR PCX1&2 | Rendition Vérité V1000 | ATI 3D Rage Pro

Reply 6 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This effect is very visible on a CRT btw.

I even wrote a pixel shader to replicate this filter effect, studied off my own Voodoo2

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For image quality V3 is the way to go. Late news having just gotten V2 SLI.

At low resolutions especially, V and V2 produce look this certain way. I haven't investigated this any closer, just noticed how good the image was with a V3.

The V, V2, V4 and V5 also have odd image positioning. This is likely not an issue on CRT monitors, but when capturing or displaying on LCDs some parts are cut off. The V3 has the best positioning and does the best captures with everything on the screen.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 39, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I even wrote a pixel shader to replicate this filter effect, studied off my own Voodoo2

What I'm getting stuck on is the fact that it can't be related to the 22-bit filter as this was never designed on a voodoo2.

Now I often play modern games in 16-bit deliberately (like warcraft 3) for the dithering effects as I quite like them. So perhaps I have not noticed extra artifacts introduced in earlier glide-games due to me passing them off as 16-bit artifacts.

I'll have to compare some glide against non-glide stuff of the same game later as I am intrigued now. Heck, may as well see what the 22-bit filter introduces as well as there are *zero* comparisons with all three possible modes simultaneously.

Reply 10 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or id Tech2-based games since they all ship with a 3dfx MiniGL that links to Glide2x, using this 4x1 filter automatically.

It's not an anachronism. It's not "22-bit".

Last edited by leileilol on 2014-08-31, 04:21. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 39, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Actually, when I tested Quake2 demo, I didn't notice the lines on the HUD elements, but the 3D environment had it. (notably, the health icon looked perfectly normal as with the numbers from what I could tell)

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For image quality V3 is the way to go. Late news having just gotten V2 SLI.

At low resolutions especially, V and V2 produce look this certain way. I haven't investigated this any closer, just noticed how good the image was with a V3.

I actually chose the Voodoo 2 over others because of the games I want to use it with, namely Tomb Raider and Redguard, though I plan on getting some of the classics eventually like Quake. I saw from the compatibility list on here that this card works well with those games so that's why I picked them.

EDIT:

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The V, V2, V4 and V5 also have odd image positioning. This is likely not an issue on CRT monitors, but when capturing or displaying on LCDs some parts are cut off. The V3 has the best positioning and does the best captures with everything on the screen.

Darn, I was actually planning on doing some video capture with mine too once I get a new system running that can actually do it.

Last edited by Agent of the BSoD on 2014-08-31, 04:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

Actually, when I tested Quake2 demo, I didn't notice the lines on the HUD elements, but the 3D environment had it. (notably, the health icon looked perfectly normal as with the numbers from what I could tell)

They should look blurry once you enter the menu as they're dimmed.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

Darn, I was actually planning on doing some video capture with mine too once I get a new system running that can actually do it.

My AVermedia Game Broadcaster HD for example can't capture the V2 @ 800 x 600. SLI @ 1024 x 768 works fine however.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 39, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Agent of the BSoD wrote:

My AVermedia Game Broadcaster HD for example can't capture the V2 @ 800 x 600. SLI @ 1024 x 768 works fine however.

And that's the card I was going to get. I really should look into a Voodoo 3 later, then. Thanks for the info though!

Reply 15 of 39, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What about 512x384? The doublescanned output of that resolution should be useful and expose the pixels more accurately.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 39, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What about 512x384? The doublescanned output of that resolution should be useful and expose the pixels more accurately.

My memory is fuzzy but a single card should work. That is after editing the registry and setting it to 60 Hz. But I can't remember to be honest. The LCD had no issues however.

SLI is a different story. 60 Hz isn't possible, it defaults to 70 or 72 per design. Nothing can be done about it.

I might revisit IQ down the track as part of a project I got planned 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 39, by Agent of the BSoD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I just tried the Redguard demo and those lines are not present, so that's nice. (though most of the conversations were muted for some reason) Laggy game on anything above 640x480 (with SLI), but beautiful. It also suffers the same problem Tomb Raider has from me having to reboot the system to make the cards usable again.

Reply 18 of 39, by Borderman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am having same problems. messed up control panel text (suspecting have something to do with riched20.dll file) and having to restart pc after dos game. or just open V2 control panel and close it. that somehow resets V2 cards without reboot. (doesnt always work)

Reply 19 of 39, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of 22bit, does anybody have a comparison between 16bit and 22bit on the Voodoo 3?