VOGONS

First post, by Priv3060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Model 30 and it seems to work great but I am having a problem with the mouse.
I install the driver and boot up a program and for a few seconds the mouse works fine but then it starts to randomly jump around the screen
and click the button on its own.
I have tried various mouse types, various driver types, and various programs with no success. No matter what type of mouse, driver or program I use
the mouse works normal for a few and then goes crazy, works normal, goes crazy again.

I feel as though the only thing left is the mouse port itself has probably got issues.
My guess is that there is no simple solution to fix a broken PS/2 mouse port.

So I was wondering if there were any other options for me to connect a mouse to the computer?
Like a parallel port maybe?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 5, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh is it one of those standard two-button PS/2 mice as pictured here?
mouse2.jpg

I had one a long time ago which exhibited the same odd chaotic cursor jumping. Unfortunately I got mad and threw it out as a young brat, but I bet it was an issue with some capacitor inside.

Try a different PS/2 mouse to rule it out.

Reply 4 of 5, by Priv3060

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for all the replies.

I have tried several different mice, most of the two button variety from various companies. No luck.
Its frustrating because it appears to work fine for a few seconds and then it starts jumping and clicking randomly.

I was able to grab a PS/2 to 25 pin serial adapter from Ebay so I can see if plugging it into a different
port helps any.
I will also do a close look at the board to see if any capacitors look funky, I hadn't thought of that...
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I like this computer a lot otherwise!

Thanks again

Reply 5 of 5, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible there is an IRQ conflict or even your keyboard? If you can start up without the keyboard and set the bios to disable keyboard warnings have your autoexec auto load your mouse driver and a program (like edit.com) and see if it works. Sometimes if the keyboard is bad it can goof up the ps/2 mouse or vice-versa.

Since it 's happening on multiple mice I assume you haven't tested these mice on another computer with known working ports? I could see one or two bad mice but if it's every single one then yeah something with that port (or possible resource conflict) or like i mentioned the keyboard could be the problem.