VOGONS

First post, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there,

On my 3dfx machine I have my beloved AWE64 Gold. I find it incredibly annoying that the wave setting on the volume manager (within Windows 98 since you ask), keeps directing itself straight to 100% volume when I am listening to different tracks.

For example, I have a track list of music, and after each song is finished, the other one starts, and I have to reset the wave setting back down a notch (as 100% is just too much above threshhold with crackling and all). I have to set it back down all the damn time and I find it incredbly annoying. Is there a way this setting can be 'locked'. The output leads to the input of another machine whereby i can control the volume on a 2nd level, before it goes to speakers- i don't have three speakers. So my spare audio jacks are re-configured as line-ins.

Regardless, is there any way to 'locking' the wave output @ say 80%? The main 'Volume' setting stays where I put it, and the rest do too. But I suspect the awe64 driver keeps bumping the Wave up too 100% (It has one of those output visulaisers along-side it).

Thanks in advance!!!

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi!

What player are you using? Tried another one?

What driver are you using? The stock Windows driver or installed from the Creative CD? Tried another one?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 6, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The player I use is Winamp (Version 5.2.4.703)

As far as driver, i'm not sure. I've checked the driver details and, sb16.vxb is version 4.35.18, and general information 1/7/1997, provided by Creative. The device name says Creative AWE64 Gold 16-bit Audio (SB16 Compatable), the MIDI claiming to be AWE32 compatable.. Possibly the old driver outdated by the time windows 98se was distributed? ???

Reply 3 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Definitely use a different player and update the drivers. There should be a driver update on the Creative website.

Reply 5 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't get rid of it. Trying to help you isolate the issue. Leave it installed but try another player.

Reply 6 of 6, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, interesting.

I've downloaded and installed Realplayer 10 (I used to use Realplayer before I was a Winamp fan). And I noticed it does stay continuous in level between tracks. But here is the interesting point, If I change the volume within the windows audio level, on the next track it will jump back where it was. If I use the player to change volume it does not jump anywhere. There is a conflict between what the player wants, and what the Windows volume metre wants. I tried this with Winamp too. And the exact same happened. I also noticed my winamp volume was @ 100% and hence I gather why it would always jump up to that volume on the next track. Unlike windows XP I suppose, windows 98 cannot save the settings for both and have in essence two levels of volume control??

I don't know whether to update the driver or not. The latest is on the Creative website is 4.38.16, 21st of October 1998, so I suppose it's a driver for Windows 98, and not one carried over from Windows 95.. Seeing as it seems more a player problem, I gather updating the driver is unneccesary, unless there is some performance/new options/features etc differences with the new driver?