VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello everyone,

Can anyone confirm that the AGP slot of an ECS P4S5A is indeed universal? Not just in theory, to have tried without problems a 3.3V-only keyed card on it.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Prod … nuID=24&LanID=0

I looked at the specs, they only mention an 4X AGP port. I downloaded and went carefully through the manual, no reference to older AGP cards.
Browsing photos on the net, the port has no key so in theory it is a universal port able to operate with either 1.5V or 3.3V cards.

The thing is that I have in past come across boards that although they had no keying on the AGP port, they were not compatible with 3.3V cards.

Before I do any try-n-cry attempt with my precious Voodoo 3, I'd like to get your feedback on this. Unfortunately I don't have any other 3.3V "disposable" card to try with.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a P4S5A packed away somewhere. I don't have any Voodoo cards, but I do have some old ATI Rage cards that I guess require 3.3v. Do you just need to find out if it will POST without blowing up? Or is it more involved than that?

Reply 3 of 6, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

I have a P4S5A packed away somewhere. I don't have any Voodoo cards, but I do have some old ATI Rage cards that I guess require 3.3v. Do you just need to find out if it will POST without blowing up? Or is it more involved than that?

Pretty sure see if it posts.

Reply 4 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for your interest in this.

The m/b has a universal-looking slot so most probably it works as such too, just wanted to make sure that this is really the case. I know it's not that common, but while working as a technician back then I've seen this happening more than once with m/b's of that era having an unkeyd agp slot and never working with any 3.3V card.

@shamino: that would be really helpful. If you could just power it up for a few moments and see if it can post with a 3.3V-only keyed card... Chances of damaging the card with less voltage are minimal, but it's something I'm not doing with a voodoo 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems to work fine.

I tried 2 cards, first a Matrox G2+ (disposable) and then a 3DLabs Permedia (why not - I was already convinced by this point. 😀 ). I thought the latter card was a Permedia2, but the POST just says Permedia... anyway the copyright is 1997, whatever it is.
Both are AGP cards keyed for 3.3v only. They both POSTed and went into the BIOS setup without any issue. I didn't measure the AGP voltage and it isn't reported in the BIOS, but given their age I assume these cards truly require 3.3v, so it looks like 3.3v support works fine in the P4S5A.