VOGONS

TerraTec Wave XTable

Topic actions

First post, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I just found a TerraTec Wave XTable on ebay.
Shipping is going to cost me 60usd and before I go though with it I was wondering if anyone had some recordings of it?
The only thing I could find was a video on youtube comparing different sound cards playing the midis from doom.
It sounded cool but before I go and spend 90$ on one I'd love to hear some recording if anyone has any.

P.S. I be putting it on one of my Yamaha OPL3 card and hopefully I can get rid of the hissing GuS PnP pro

Last edited by frisky dingo on 2014-10-27, 17:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best find an Roland Wave Table, such as SCB-7 or Roland SCB-55, those have the best sound in games that use MIDI.
If you want to experiment on the other hand, buy if you feel like that is what you should do.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 11, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Best find an Roland Wave Table, such as SCB-7 or Roland SCB-55, those have the best sound in games that use MIDI.
If you want to experiment on the other hand, buy if you feel like that is what you should do.

I'm not a fan of how Rolands sound TBH. I'm more into the HiFi studio sounding cards but I can never find one.
Right now I'm using a GuS PnP pro with the 8MB Utopia Patch. It's nice and all, but I want something better. The background noise on the card alone is driving me nuts, it probably needs recaped 😵

EDIT:
I found a few here
http://www.wavetable.nl/?cat=4
not to bad, don't know if I want to pay 90$ for one tho

Last edited by frisky dingo on 2014-10-27, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There arent many Wave Tables that reach Roland SCB and Yamaha DB in sound quality.
The problem with Xwave is that it only has 128 instruments for GM use (If i remember correctly).

You are better off with an External MIDI module if sound quality is your concern.

I had a lot of MIDI processors (Gravis Ultrasound max, Turtle Beach Pinnacle, SW1000XG, SCB-55, DB60XG, Software XG, AWE32 - 64 Gold, etc). It was an fun experience experimenting with all of them, but in reality Roland and Yamaha are the best.

Reply 4 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am listening to the xtable samples atm, it sounds kinda off in many parts of well-known tracks - IMHO it's not the hardware to blame but rather optimization: nothing DOS-era is optimized for the xtable.
heck, you can also debate that almost nothing is optimized for yamaha stuff 🤣 🤣 🤣 , take for example the Dune II - Credits recordings: it only sounds correctly on a roland synth, both yamaha and xtable murder it at parts.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

I am listening to the xtable samples atm, it sounds kinda off in many parts of well-known tracks - IMHO it's not the hardware to blame but rather optimization: nothing DOS-era is optimized for the xtable.
heck, you can also debate that almost nothing is optimized for yamaha stuff 🤣 🤣 🤣 , take for example the Dune II - Credits recordings: it only sounds correctly on a roland synth, both yamaha and xtable murder it at parts.

E1M1 is crap on the xtable too. from what I can tell its less for gaming and more for midi work.
I think I might keep my GUS for now. maybe I'll get a second sound card and just use the GUS for midi's

Reply 6 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think an issue many people have with the Roland Wave Table modules is that they sound flat in games written for the EMU8000.
Using a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold as host for the Midi module solves that issue.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2014-10-27, 18:03. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I some times mod my MIDI music to listen to it on my hardware.
EMU 8000 is pretty great.

Also, with out the mod for AWE64 Gold, how can you attach an Wave Table to it? (Or did you mean the external MIDI out)

Reply 8 of 11, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea I meant an external module with the AWE 64. I will edit to make it sound less confusing 😀
You can use an internal module externally with an "adapter" though.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 9 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

take for example the Dune II - Credits recordings: it only sounds correctly on a roland synth, both yamaha and xtable murder it at parts.

Erm, isn't Dune II requiring an actual MT-32 with sample uploading capability?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ no idea if the mt-32 is the ideal synth for this , I didn't even listen to the mt-32 recording - my comments were for the comparison between xtable/scb-55/db50xg
Dune2 supports both mt-32 and sound canvas devices so it's a safe comparison for the cards in question.++

edit #2: did some searching, apparently dune2 uses mt-32 very well, I'll give the midis a spin

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 11, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had one. Sold it a while ago. It may be one of the latest wavetable modules but I didn't really like it. Yamaha or Roland are way better. Hell, even a CS9233 is better...
If you really want to go pro, step up and buy a nice external Roland module. I'm quite happy with my SC-88 Pro.