First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A6EyF0gl.jpg

qy3foy1l.jpg

KqY2ABCl.jpg

got it for like bucks shipped. Now if there is a way to mod it to work with my tough book.

Reply 3 of 6, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maeslin wrote:

What model toughbook? Because that says ECC RAM and I'd be pretty surprised if a laptop could use that stuff.

CF28 and it definitely does not support ECC but, hey socket 939 doesn't technically support ECC but, we got that working.

8GB of DDR1 in a socket 939 system

if it's any thing ddr1, it doesn't have crazy pin out, i already know fora fact it fits and has the same number of pins. it could possibly be matter of disabling the ECC in the SPD chip on the ram module. Or possibly an oddity to display on the shelf or put in a box for later.

fyy wrote:

1024MB sticks of PC133? That's pretty crazy

And sodimm on top of that.

Reply 5 of 6, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you look at origina...well maybe imgur down sized the fullsized photos but, if you click the links and enlarge them you will see only 1 slot, also look at the chips, it's only 2 chips long + the sideways chip, where desktop chip would hold far more. Also stickers and fingers for scale. I should have taken a shot from the side.

Reply 6 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ECC normally isn't a problem, it shouldn't break anything unless the BIOS actively refuses to let it work. It just adds another 8 bits that don't have to be used. The only (desktop) machines I've run into that care about this are Dells. I have no idea how picky laptops are, I haven't messed with them much.

The real problem is if it's registered - that causes real compatibility problems. Along with of course the question of whether your laptop can use modules this big.
I searched that part number and from the picture I found, it doesn't look registered but I couldn't see both sides. The chips in that picture were 64Mx8 each, so it would have to be 18 chips but only 5 were visible on that side. I assume the chips are stacked.