VOGONS

Thoughts of this setup?

Topic actions

First post, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so I'm thinking of changing my system. My system is in my sig.
I should be getting a voodoo 1 4mb card today and I'm going to use my fx 5700 as my 2D card.

So not being able to OC my cpu that far not that I should. How bad will the fx 5700 be held back by the PIII? I can't see it being that bad a 1.5ghz. I'd like to be able to play games like silent hill 3 and kotor 1&2 on the system and the cpu is going to be the limiting factor.

Reply 1 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Initial question is: *which* FX 5700? There are many variants. That said, perhaps this will give you some insight: AGP Mini-Comparison (7 Cards, 3DMark2001) **UPDATED** (I tested a 5700U).

The P4 I used is about on-par with very fast Pentium 3/Athlon chips; your TOTL P3 may even be a little bit faster. For comparison, here's a review with a 5700U paired with a faster system: http://www.bjorn3d.com/2003/10/bfg-geforce-fx … -fx-5950-ultra/ (an AthlonXP 2500+ with DDR and an nForce 2).

Unfortunately they only show raw score in 3D01, but it is somewhat higher (my guess is, however, that the more GPU-bound tests aren't moving very much, and the score gain is from CPU-bound tests being able to run even faster). So basically to your question: will it bottleneck? sure. Will it matter? probably not. If you were trying to run DX9 games that are at the limit for the 5700 (Oblivion, for example, lists the FX 5700 as its minimum system requirements) the P3 would probably be an issue, but for older games (let's use Morrowind as an example) it will still be an improvement over the V3 (especially since it will add PS support). KOTOR2 is a big question mark though - I'm unfamiliar with the game, but it's fairly new for this kind of machine (it came out in 2005), and lists a 1GHz P3 as its minimum system requirements; it may not run very well, but it should run (as you do technically meet all of the requirements with the 5700 in place).

I think the bigger hang-up is if you're going from a Voodoo3 3000 to a Voodoo Graphics 4MB for Glide; that's a pretty big step down depending on what you're trying to run. A Voodoo2 or pair of Voodoo2s would be a better replacement candidate imho.

Reply 2 of 5, by frisky dingo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info. I just took a look at the card and its a msi FX5600-VTD256 and not a 5700 😵 and it has 256mb of ram
As for the voodoo 1, I'm only going to use it with older games the require it like the 3dfx version of mechwarrior 2 and resident evil 1. I have a pair of voodoo 2's and I always run into trouble with them and a few games. I might just make some custom drivers and use 2 passthough cables and keep both a pair voodoo 2's and the voodoo 1 on the system. 😈
As for kotor, I'm thinking it will play fine so long as the fx dose not kill the system. If I recall right the game was more then playable with my 5500 and a 1ghz P3. But I guess I'll find out latter.

Reply 3 of 5, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have five voodoo1 boards and NONE likes a fast cpu or a high frontside bus (you have both).

Voodoo1 works best up to 450mhz processors, after that it CAN get problems like corruption or, as in my case, not even work at all (they work fine on slower systems, on my tualatin they did not work and are problematic on my p3 700 Asus p3b-f system ).

Sometimes going down to 66mhz fsb works wonders but even that didn`t work on the tualatin with Asus tusl2-c.

These cards get some ``overflow`` problems with cpu`s that are too fast. Voodoo2 and higher do not have this problem.

Please report back if it works on your system.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
frisky dingo wrote:

Thanks for the info. I just took a look at the card and its a msi FX5600-VTD256 and not a 5700 😵 and it has 256mb of ram

So it'll be a little slower than the 5700, but not dramatically, especially in older games where the CineFX (5600) vs CineFX II (5700) doesn't matter. I'd expect performance probably somewhere in the neighborhood of GF3 Ti or slow GF4 Ti, but with extra VRAM and full DX9a implementation available for later titles. It'll *chug* in heavy DX8/9 games though, because of the single VS unit and first-gen CineFX shader package. Basically don't expect it to do good with Half-Life 2 or Oblivion, but it shouldn't have any problems with Half-Life or Morrowind. 😀

As for kotor, I'm thinking it will play fine so long as the fx dose not kill the system. If I recall right the game was more then playable with my 5500 and a 1ghz P3. But I guess I'll find out latter.

It should be more powerful than the 5500 across the board; fairly similar internal configuration with more memory bandwidth and higher clocks basically. It's older than 5500 though, so you will have more driver options going backwards, which may improve compatibility with some games (from what I've learned looking into the issue, LithTech games seem to benefit from older drivers). It does support 45.23 which seems to be the popular candidate for GeForce FX (I've only tried it on 9x so far, and it enabled some options that 8x.xx and 71.89 didn't show for my 5800U; I should be trying it in XP within the week and can compare 3D01 with 71.89).

No reason it would "kill" anything - a lot of to-do has been made about not having a "too fast" graphics card, but outside of synthetics and compatibility (e.g. if you have a very early AGP chipset that doesn't work with all cards, or power supply is small, etc) there's really nothing wrong.

Reply 5 of 5, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
I have five voodoo1 boards and NONE likes a fast cpu or a high frontside bus (you have both). […]
Show full quote

I have five voodoo1 boards and NONE likes a fast cpu or a high frontside bus (you have both).

Voodoo1 works best up to 450mhz processors, after that it CAN get problems like corruption or, as in my case, not even work at all (they work fine on slower systems, on my tualatin they did not work and are problematic on my p3 700 Asus p3b-f system ).

Sometimes going down to 66mhz fsb works wonders but even that didn`t work on the tualatin with Asus tusl2-c.

These cards get some ``overflow`` problems with cpu`s that are too fast. Voodoo2 and higher do not have this problem.

Please report back if it works on your system.

I tried n my main RIg ( p3 550mhz + gf mx 2) Sometimes the sytsem dont detected the card.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.