VOGONS

Tips for storing CPUs

Topic actions

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wondering how everyone stores their CPUs!

Specifically interested in these plastic containers, what sizes are there? Are there generic ones? Will I end up with different sizes for each socket for example?

Currently I put them in small anti-static bags but often pins get bent a little and I'd like to avoid this.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 23, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Plastic trays - something like this

Yes, those. Exactly the thing. Thoughtless perfection - you just drop the chip on the grid and it's protected. Presume this was standard shipping packaging to the dealers. Just checked size on some loose chips: these were all good: 387 386 486 P1 Athlon. But a Willamette, no chance.
file.php?id=16055

Attachments

• Filename
    CPUpacking.JPG
    File size
    169.92 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree, plastic CPU trays are the best 😀

But I have made some CPU tray-like thingies myself (using small planks with the edges made of cut stripes of cardboard so the chips don't slide off the wood plank, kinda odd to explain, but still plastic trays are better (and less work)
I also store some of my CPU's in drawers, but the problem is that all CPU's tend to slide around every time I open/close the drawer...not ideal.
In the past I've also used (very) small cardboard boxes (like the ones that originally had memory modules in them, around that size) and stack them in this way: First one I lay on the bottom with the pins pointing up, second chip I lay on top of that with the pins facing down, rinse repeat. But also not ideal, but at least that way you can stack them instead of needing lots of horizontal space.

And that's the problem right there, you need lots of horizontal space if you have any serious amount of CPU's, think multiple square feet 😜 (or square meters but I try not to think of it 😊 )

But plastic CPU trays are the best, they take up very little space because they stack so well. The only (slight) disadvantage of CPU trays is that if I'm looking for any particular chip, I need to look through all my trays which is a hassle due to the sheer quantity of them (and did I mention that imo the best way to store CPU's still is to get lots of those plastic CPU trays? 😁 )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Noticed some 'Goldcap' socket 7 CPU's are to thick for the tray. They fit okay by themselves, but I cannot properly put a tray on top of it. So be warned 😀

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 23, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have plastic trays and small cardboard boxes. Slot CPU's on one bigger plastic box. Then i have some non-functional CPU's which i store on one cardboard box. Old ones are important to stay good condition.

Reply 9 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

Thin pieces of foam plastic with a CPU pushed inside. Looks like a hamburger with ham being the CPU.

It's years back but I remember (iirc it was cpu-world.com) that some types of foam corrode the CPU pins, so I try to avoid using any foam for long term CPU storage since I can't tell the difference between the good and the bad.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 23, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I either keep them installed in motherboards and store them as sets (keeps pins straight, and sockets clean), or in anti-static bags (less common; but I don't feel bad doing this with LGA 775 chips). I've also got this "case" from AMD that holds 1-2 CPUs - from its markings it was originally designed to hold CPUs, but I have no idea from where it originated. I'd love to have more of those for "loose" chips. It looks kind of like those plastic boxes that medallions come in, but it's all black and has warnings about ESD/EMR sensitivity (and a huge AMD logo).

Reply 11 of 23, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ones without a motherboard I store in a "small" box. It goes like 10 cpus in one level. I put just an ordinary office A4 paper between levels. The ones that I use most frequently are on the top. But it would be nice to have a real CPU storage trays.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I store them in jewel cases. I take out the inner plastic and then I can fit 2-4 CPUs depending on size.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I store them in jewel cases. I take out the inner plastic and then I can fit 2-4 CPUs depending on size.

Yep, works perfectly, this is how i do it. Also a good way to ship them (just fill the empty space with paper so it stays in place)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 15 of 23, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a bunch of those blue CPU trays mentioned above. They fit socket-7, 370, 462 (I don't know what else, but that's what I use them with). I really like those trays.
I have some other black trays that are designed for mPGA478. I don't like them as well. The pins hang through an opening and the CPU is suspended from the lip. I prefer to put those in plastic single containers though, which I don't have enough of. The blue and black trays don't quite stack perfectly with each other, but it's good enough.
I have one unused LGA775, I think it's laying with the 478s, maybe in a single container.

My [edit: socket 4] and 8 CPUs are laying on foam in an old motherboard box. They're too big for the trays.
I have one unused socket 940 chip, it's in a plastic single container. I don't know if it would fit the trays but I think probably not. Pins are too dense for the blue trays and the size probably wouldn't match the opening on the 478 trays.

My slot-1 CPUs with heatsinks attached are sandwiched into a plastic bin. Few if any are in an antistatic bag, I don't worry about that much.
Those without an attached heatsink are grouped together in an antistatic bag and laid on top of the heatsinked ones. My slockets are also bagged together like this. My slot-1 and slot-2 terminators are loose.

I have some DIP chips, though most are not CPUs. I put some in the tubes they belong in, but I don't have enough of those. The rest are sticking through foam.

I remember a few years ago having a real hard time finding CPU and memory trays that I could buy. Luckily some sellers finally realized there's people who want to buy them.

Last edited by shamino on 2014-11-05, 12:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

I'll try this out because it's a lot easier and cheaper to get jewel cases than trays 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 23, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mostly I wrap each one up in several plies of drafting vellum [supposedly inert] and tape it shut. Others go in little plastic clasp boxes over a thin sheet of foam. But all this talk has me thinking I need to re-store them in those grids/trays.