VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any collectible value on early Willamete P4 boards? I have an old 423 Gateway board in storage that works and has a 2GHz Pentium 4 and a bundle of rdram around 512MB. I was thinking on recycling it due to the slow clock per clock performance of the P4, but then again it was one of the very first p4 boards and maybe somebody may have a use for it. I'll give it away for free to anyone who wants it.

vhZHsb.jpg

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:
Is there any collectible value on early Willamete P4 boards? I have an old 423 Gateway board in storage that works and has a 2GH […]
Show full quote

Is there any collectible value on early Willamete P4 boards? I have an old 423 Gateway board in storage that works and has a 2GHz Pentium 4 and a bundle of rdram around 512MB. I was thinking on recycling it due to the slow clock per clock performance of the P4, but then again it was one of the very first p4 boards and maybe somebody may have a use for it. I'll give it away for free to anyone who wants it.

vhZHsb.jpg

That's a great combo!

Definitely don't recycle it, I'm sure theres people wanting it (like myself 😁 )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 4, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well i just pm'ed you even though my interest goes more to the cpu and ram so, yeah give it a read :p

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 3 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that board perfectly represents a well known, short lived and infamous moment in Intel's history. The socket-423 P4 and RAMBUS combo is kind of iconic of Intel's direction at that moment, and this particular setup really puts it in the best possible light.
If it was SDRAM or the later 478 socket then it wouldn't be as interesting, but this is cool.
You have the best components to go with it also, that 2.0GHz Willamette was top of the line for socket-423, and 512MB of RAMBUS was as much as anybody would have ever had (at great expense). From the photo, that board has quality caps that shouldn't give the owner any trouble.
It's also a Gateway, a dead and widely remembered retail brand.
So yeah, if motherboards are collectible, I think this one is. P4s are cheap right now but I think this one would appreciate eventually.

Reply 4 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

I think that board perfectly represents a well known, short lived and infamous moment in Intel's history. The socket-423 P4 and RAMBUS combo is kind of iconic of Intel's direction at that moment, and this particular setup really puts it in the best possible light.

🤣
Class-action settlement nets $15 for first-gen Pentium 4 buyers