VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98SE is being very unstable on my IBM Aptiva after I reinstalled 98SE and put in an ISA 3COM Etherlink III card. That made booting take forever. It even lost drive D:/ in "my computer." So since i'm not the best at debugging 98 and i'm tired of the instability, I've decided to try Windows 2000 with SP4. Like I was saying in the title, I have a K6-2 333MHz cpu and have the ram maxed at 256MB PC100. I also have a 120GB hard drive attatched to a Promise ATA66 card. I'm using this PC as a backup CD burner to store and burn my cd collection at 4x to 8X CD-R as well as running Office 2000, Audacity, VLC, and other light software or games. The PC will not be on the Internet and is probably not doing much cpu/ram intensive stuff. What do you think? The mobo's clock multiplier alows me to upgrade up to a 450MHz model, but is my current 333MHz cpu enough for what i'm doing or is a cpu upgrade in order?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 2 of 4, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as you have enough RAM you should be OK. The slowest PC I've ran Win2k was a Pentium 3 + 128MB RAM though... You'll probably NOT want to install any sort of security software, and disable a few services. Should be slower than 98 but not by THAT much. God, you might even be able to run XP well enough in that machine.
Also, be sure to check if your games work on Windows 2000... and if your graphics adapter has a decent driver for it. Depending on the games/software you run, you might even get away using Windows NT 4.0... It doesn't support USB out-of-the-box though, so it might not be worth it.
Anyway, you might also try a fixed IP setting with your adapter and see if W98's boot time gets back to normal.

Reply 4 of 4, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would work great. I have 2000 on one of my CF cards for my 486 with 64 MB of RAM!

Its slow (especially the 64 MB RAM part) but it does work. 333MHz and 256 RAM is plenty more than enough