VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 2 OEM systems, one a 8088 and one a 8086 system. these both have built in floppy controllers on the motherboard with no jumpers to disable them. My question is, is there any way to get HD floppy support on these machines? from my understanding since the on board controller cannot be disabled adding a HD floppy controller card will either do nothing or set the new drives to letters other then A and B.

now since both these machines only have 2 bays available I don't really have the space for 4 floppy drives or actually even two in the case of one system (one slot is taken by the hard drive).

Reply 1 of 4, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you cant disable the controller on the motherboard, then you are screwed.. You always need to disable something to enable the other.. Why not? Because if its still enabled, then it always would assigned the drives first to the controller that is still enabled. So if you would adding an HD controller to that board, that controller wont be available, because your old controller on the boards overrides it.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 4, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this is what I suspected unfortunately. I was hoping someone had come up with some kind of work around.

Reply 3 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK older PC systems could support 4 floppy drives (the first one at 0x3F0 and the second one at 0x370), but thinking about it...
- DOS uses A: and B: for floppy disks, and C: for hard disks... if two FDCs are installed, the first hard disk would be E:?
- You will need a floppy controller that can be configured for port 0x3F0. It seems that most of them are hardwired to 0x370 and only allow enabling/disabling FDC port.
- PCs and XTs had the old reliable 765, that don't support HD floppy drives (well, you can connect an HD floppy drive, but it will act as a DD one). I guess that having a better FDC on the floppy controller would enable them to use HD and EHD disks on the third and fourth floppy drives, but I don't know for sure.
- You will still need some bays for your drives.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 4, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember as a kid doing stupid things like putting an ISA floppy controller card onto machines with onboard FDC and connecting floppy drives to both. They'd both seek at POST since they both get reset at the same time etc. Not a good idea obviously, especially if one throws an error and the other one does not 😉 Not to mention timing issues. Terrible terrible things to do. Hey, you live and you learn...