VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6101 of 53114, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't have too many spares. Just been going through my 386/486 mobo and card stash today. Glad I had the insight not to throw all my old stuff away. Hell, still have software I bought back in 1990 😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6102 of 53114, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I've been collecting 386 and 486 generation hardware since the mid 90s. When I first started out a lot of people were still using 486 systems and were quite reluctant to give up their high end gear. Most stuff was still relatively expensive too. Then around 2000 everything was plentiful and dirt cheap. The only problem was that on ebay half the time you couldn't tell what you were buying because most people didn't own digital camera. Ever since then prices have been on the rise and parts have been drying up. Until recently I was always able to find many things online that I really wanted but couldn't afford to buy them all. There was a time I could search for "ISA card" on eBay and would get so many pages of results it was pretty much impossible to scan through everything. These days searching online is pretty depressing and I rarely see anything worth buying. What we need is a good economic crisis to get people pawning stuff off on eBay again.

An economic crisis will not help, most of that stuff has been recycled by now. I stocked up on what I needed (and then some) but you can never have them all.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6103 of 53114, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today i received a brand new in the box iiyama 17 inch crt monitor.. Vision master 1403 LS704U

399f93d6ca65a917ecadb5af2091b8f5.jpg

Its a nice feeling to have a new crt monitor again..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6104 of 53114, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I've been collecting 386 and 486 generation hardware since the mid 90s. When I first started out a lot of people were still using 486 systems and were quite reluctant to give up their high end gear. Most stuff was still relatively expensive too. Then around 2000 everything was plentiful and dirt cheap. The only problem was that on ebay half the time you couldn't tell what you were buying because most people didn't own digital camera. Ever since then prices have been on the rise and parts have been drying up. Until recently I was always able to find many things online that I really wanted but couldn't afford to buy them all. There was a time I could search for "ISA card" on eBay and would get so many pages of results it was pretty much impossible to scan through everything. These days searching online is pretty depressing and I rarely see anything worth buying. What we need is a good economic crisis to get people pawning stuff off on eBay again.

An economic crisis will not help, most of that stuff has been recycled by now. I stocked up on what I needed (and then some) but you can never have them all.

I stock up also what i need the most, but also things as replacements. (from one system i had bought 3 new motherboards as example) If one is dead(also after trying to fix, i have always stuff to replace with..

But i dont buy serveral types of graphic cards for one period of computer.. I try most from the same series (but more as replacements instead)(have more quantities.)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6105 of 53114, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

Today i received a brand new in the box iiyama 17 inch crt monitor.. Vision master 1403 LS704U

Iiyama's were/are great CRT's. I had a VisionMaster Pro 17" with the Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube in it. Eventually it just got crowded out (along with the rest of my CRT's) in my man cave and was replaced by a ViewSonic VX922 2ms 4:3 LCD.

Reply 6106 of 53114, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ordered this gadget:

C285.jpg

It's the Game Capture HD II and is a HDMI capture box with HDMI pass-through and PC-less operation. Just press record button on the remote and of fyou go. You can install a notebook drive or just use an external USB hard drive / stick. I'm planning on using this on my main desktop for some video tutorials that can't be done with Bandicam because toggling between full screen and window mode causes issues or it doesn't show everything (e.g. Windows security warnings). And also handy for other situations when a PC isn't near or not convenient.

It's quite cheap and just a matter of time when they do a 60 fps model with USB 3.0 ports. It can take 0-255 and 16-235 colour range input which my current AVerMedia doesn't support and that should make it a good fit with the StarTech VGA scaler I have because that happens to output in 16-235 colour range.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6107 of 53114, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Bought an OmniView F1D108-OSD 8-port KVM switch new in box and got a Virge DX (still wet after cleaning) for free. Can you believe that up until now I haven't seen a Virge live? I've got more S3s Trios than I care to remember and up until now not a single Virge. Btw, this one has a "TV" connector. S-Video out?]

I don't see the TV connector on the card, where do you see it? A TV connector on a Virge card would be uncommon but possible.
Here Virges are quite common, although Trios may be even more common. If you don't want to use the 3D features a Virge doesn't really make much of a difference, it is just slightly more modern than some Trio chips. (Virge/325 should be similar to Trio64V+ and Virge/DX similar to Trio64V2.)
Your card has only 2MB RAM so its use for 3D is somewhat limited. I can't read the writing on the RAM chips, RAM speed makes a difference with Trio/Virge cards.

Reply 6109 of 53114, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Its a nice feeling to have a new crt monitor again..

I know the feeling, I bought a brand new sealed 17" LG (non-flat) CRT monitor a few months back from someone. Then I got even luckier and a local electronics shop sold me a brand new 14" CRT.

Reply 6110 of 53114, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got 19" CRT. Samsung Syncmaster 957DF. Unfortunately it have the build-in VGA cable and this cable is damaged (red color only if I bend the cable)... I'm not sure I will find someone with enough skill to fix this (mount the DE-15 connector to the monitor shell and attach all wires to it). So - maybe I will trash it.
Still - this CRT cost me nothing...
P.S. I forgot about THE WEIGHT of these CRTs. 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6111 of 53114, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

raymangold, I don't get it, is it a PCI version of one of the old sound blasters? Looks very weird. What can it do?

Bought an OmniView F1D108-OSD 8-port KVM switch new in box and got a Virge DX (still wet after cleaning) for free.

I'm about to buy for a few euro the 4 ports model, F1D104-OSD KVM - it supports discrete video resolutions, and in my garage / nerd-lab It will make my life much more convenient.

Reply 6112 of 53114, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if it is "retro" per se but I bought an 86duino
100_3603.jpg

Basically it is kind of like an Arduino but it has an x86 core (I think about like a 300MHz Pentium MMX) and 128 MB of RAM

It could even run Linux or DOS (but it doesn't have VGA)

A word of caution: $39 may not sound too bad but I got screwed with $25 of shipping for Taiwan.
Didn't say what the shipping cost would be until after payment 😠

Reply 6114 of 53114, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Interesting. What are you planning to do with it? If it behaves like an MMX could it be used as a DOS gaming "box"?

I am not sure yet.

It doesn't have native VGA but it does have PCI-E hosting capability. There was a lengthy forum thread about someone getting it working.
It required some BIOS patching and PCI-E wiring. http://www.86duino.com/?page_id=85/general-el … ct-vga-to-pci-e

But it looks like they got it to work and boot freedos and play doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shlirczvcwg

Reply 6115 of 53114, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not retro per se, but I got my 4-port KVM in the mail today. It's an Aten CS84U, which does dual-mode USB and PS/2 - it's actually quite impressive the way it converts my USB keyboard and USB mouse on-the-fly into PS/2! Controllable through keyboard shortcuts too. Ex-demonstrator model, cables are brand new in their packets.

Normally 85eur or so, I paid 20eur for it! 🤣

cxnCR85.jpg

Reply 6117 of 53114, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Would these KVMs support wireless keyboard+mouse combos that use a single dongle?

They have separate USB ports for keyboard and mouse, and I don't have such a combo to test it out unfortunately. That said, I just tested it with my Apple keyboard with a wireless USB mouse plugged into one of the USB ports on the keyboard itself, and that worked fine transmitting to the two PS/2 connectors at the computer. So there's a chance that a wireless combo would work.

Reply 6118 of 53114, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost exactly the one I use. Mine is CS1734B, it has some additional function (It can also share two USB ports and speaker/microphone) but basically it is the same. And unfortunately, no, it is not working with a keyboard/mouse combo, at least not with what I have (Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000). Otherwise it works like magic (mostly). It has both PS2 and USB type cables, so you can connect your old and new rigs together. Currently what I have connected on it are Core2 quad, Athlon64, Pentium III and Pentium MMX. Only gimmick I see was, my Athlon64 box was not happy with USB connection cable. XP on it works perfectly but Linux boot goes berserk with USB connection, so I needed to change the cable to PS2 type. It works happily with that, though.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6119 of 53114, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought these for 5$ today, would have gotten them for free but I felt like I was ripping the guy off. 😜

Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4500
awe1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8d4k9i.jpg

Sound Blaster 16 CT2950
01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8d4ka0.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!