VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello guys,

I have now hooked up an Seagate ST-251 MFM 5.25 harddisk on a recoverd DTC 5150 X MFM controller.. I have never played with this stuff actually.. I know to hook it up.. But never been in the harddisk formatter program.

First it ask Drive No.. ( i know that it means with drive to configure) ( i only have one drive now, so i have chosen 1.)

Now it asks the interleave 2-9.. But dont know whats that.. Iam only guessing that it could be the interleave of the controller.. Because i used debug to come in the formatter program g=c800:5 (so i guess 5 would be the interleave..) I like to know whats the interleave, (drive or controller) and whats the sake to change it to a different number.. Now i dont know what to choose..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But where can i find the interleave number? I also found out that this controller wasnt ment for the bigger MFM harddisk drive.. It should that the DTC 5150X MFM controller is a ST506 interface only controller ( for the first generation MFM drives 5- 20MB.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe the best controller I found for these ST 251s was the WD-1002A WX1. This one will support the full 40MB capacity. The model without the "A" in the name only does 20MB drives. I also discovered that you could run an ST 251 on an RLL controller (like the WD-1002A-27X) and format the drives to almost 60MB. Not sure how reliable that is though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can choose any interleave, and only thing you will loose is some performance. Interleave is a factor used to optimize the performance of HDD, based on its native head movement speed and plate rotation speed in relation to each other. Basically, you tell the formatting program not putting the sectors adjacently but in a different order. This is quite good a reading:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaving_(disk_storage)

and as you can see from the above article, there are programs to determine best interleave.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

But where can i find the interleave number? I also found out that this controller wasnt ment for the bigger MFM harddisk drive.. It should that the DTC 5150X MFM controller is a ST506 interface only controller ( for the first generation MFM drives 5- 20MB.

Here is a helpful article:

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/DTC%2 … ion%20Guide.pdf

The drive table on the last page has ST-251 listed so I wonder the controller would support this drive.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2015-01-09, 02:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by appleiiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interleave also relies on the system you are running the drive in. PC XT Interleave was 6:1, PC AT was 3:1. I believe Norton utilities for dos has a utility called Norton's Calibrate which can find the fastest interleave. I remember running it on a PC XT with a V20 and it changed the interleave from 6:1 to 4:1.

Reply 7 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, interleave will only impact performance. You can safely use the wrong interleave setting and the hard disk will work without problems (but slower).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 8, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot slower - if the interleave was set too tight, it caused the "hard disk not much faster than floppy", as the controller read on sector, then missed the next and had to wait a whole revolution.

On a controller with a track buffer (some of the later era ones), the interleave was 1:1 - the controller buffered the track.

On AT systems, 3:1 or maybe 2:1 - by staggering the sector numbering 2 or 3 apart, it gave time for the controller to be ready for the next.
The very slowest XT needed 6:1 or even 7:1 - meaning it could access something over 2 sectors per revolution - that setting will work on faster systems as well, but limits the disk speed compared to an optimize setting.

Yes, Norton Calibrate was the program, remember using it in the days of MFM & RLL drives - probably not included in the modern utilities, though. It uses the test cylinder of the drive to check different interleaves, and then converts the drive interleave.