VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I've been researching a rig for quite a while but I figured it would be best to join the forum and ask you guys.

At first, fully aware that a "retro gaming laptop" was not entirely reccomended, I picked up a thinkpad a20p. Of course, it's bios battery was dead. It was so tedious to open and put back together even partially, that when I got no display for one reason or another, I didn't even feel like opening it back up to reseat everything. If it was that difficult to replace a simple battery I wanted no part of it, it was only $20 anyway.

So my question is, would you reccomend a microatx 440bx htpc desktop to go beneath my tv, or would an inspiron 8000/8100 or c800/c810 be any less horrific than an early 2000's thinkpad? I know I can replace their processors with the 850mhz pentium-m and I know their video cards can be replaced with a geforce4go.

Reply 1 of 3, by Runicen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sure you'll get a wave of good responses here, but I can speak rather highly of the old (beige) Dell Optiplex models. I have one running a Pentium 200 that is pretty solid (and cost me 25 or thereabouts) that easily fits under the monitor of my primary machine. Granted, I'm mostly doing DOS gaming on it, so I don't need (though I would like) a lot of expandability. Not being sure what you're after but seeing you're ok with a laptop, I'd assume it'd do the job.

Also, this line went, I believe, up to Pentium III and since they have integrated graphics and sound, they're pretty easy to get up and running and upgrade later. So eBay might yield some gold for you there...

Reply 2 of 3, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ohh damn! I had no idea they went any smaller than microatx in that era. I guess I need to be looking at more proprietary builds. The pentium III optiplexes look perfect, they even have AGP/PCI support. Looking at a gx150 or gx200. It seems the only benefit of the gx 200 would be the nostalgia of beige, 🤣. Thanks so much though.

{update} It seems the only option is a gx150 sff for $100. All the others are broken, untested, or mid towers. Any other recommendations before I take the dive? Part of me still would like a laptop like an inspiron 8100, but I feel that old laptop hardware would be difficult to maintain, what with taking about 40 minutes to get to the cpu depending on brand and lack of manuals.

Reply 3 of 3, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One interresting thing you could do if you wish to go more retro: a complete PC in your 5.25" bay. It can be anything from 386 to Pentium if you manage to find a good board for cheap.

There's an article on the subject. The text is in Russian, but there's a lot of pictures and Google translate can help you with the rest.
http://www.phantom.sannata.ru/konkurs/2011/kt1111.shtml