VOGONS

First post, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the title says

Got a Diamond Flower 486-25/33/50 ISA motherboard where the old barrel battery died and leaked acid.

Have removed the battery cleaned up all battery acid with vinegar, have successfully ran a CR2032 coin battery holder to the external battery header to the motherboard and have set the battery jumper from INT to EXT. Will get a diode on soon. The system board remembers all CMOS values and all although and time and date is remembered, it is only remembered to the point where the machine is turned off.

For example time and date is correct at 9:30pm 18th July 2014 then turn the computer off at that time.

Then the next day at 11:30am 19th July 2014 I turn the computer on, the time and date is starts off from 9:30pm 18th July 2014

So when the computer is on time ticks away as normal but when computer is turned off the time freezes.

The original cell is 3.6 volts 60mAh 6mA and at the moment I have a 3.3v CR2032 non rechargeable in there at the moment.

Is the hardware clock not likely to get enough power or is it likely to be bad?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks
Bradley

Reply 1 of 4, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This topic is best asked under "Marvin" section (hardware questions), not System Specs. Might catch more/proper attention there.

Anyway, the problem sounds similar to this.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 2 of 4, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoops oh yeah, sorry very new to this site, will choose the right subject in future. Cheers for the advice, yes similar problem indeed. I've now ran 3 AAA rechargeable batteries and now the hardware clock is now ticking over just fine now when powered off. Have now placed an order for an exact matching Ni/Cd battery but will yet again keep it on wires 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No probs, and welcome to the forum. 😀

I guess you're more savvy at soldering than I am, but I still find his advices entertaining.

> Second, do I simply affix one wire to the positive side and another > to the negative side of the battery? […]
Show full quote

> Second, do I simply affix one wire to the positive side and another
> to the negative side of the battery?

If you solder them, be sure to put on your flak jacket, helmet, goggles,
etc. A battery holder is a great idea. Or be sure your health insurance
is paid up.

> Third, where on the board do I affix the other ends of the two wires?
> Into the positive and ground prongs of plug for an unused fan?

AAIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!

🤣

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 4, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old topic but problem solved. Bought brand new 3.6v Ni-Cd cell rechargeable batteries from Hong Kong. Time and date carries on fine now when the computer is off. Still decided to keep the new battery on wires and safely away from the mainboard so if that ever does a leak the board should still be safe 😀