VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two AT style cases here.. But i like to know which you guys would use for your 286 and 386 build..

The 286 would be a 12MHZ class machine with an option to set it to 16Mhz.
The 386 would be a DX 40MHZ class machine which would keep this speed..

The cases i have are:

file.php?id=14742

This one is mine:
i78kdz.jpg

zodsep.jpg

The original setup was a 486 DX 40MHz, VLB UMC chipset Processor was also an UMC one..

And the other case is:

mudhtj.jpg
33p337k.jpg

I know the buttons are yellowed but can be fixed.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 11, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tower cases were not so common for 286 era, so a more historically correct build for an 286 might better be in a desktop case. Aside from this, I always like mini/midi towers much more, compared to desktop cases (practical to work with), so if historical correctness is not an issue, I would go for the tower cases for both builds.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd go desktop for the 286 and tower for the 386. As far as working on them there really is no difference. One thing about desktops is the monitor can sit on top them giving a better viewing height and takes up less desktop space overall whilst placing all external media,fdds/cdrom etc, right in front of you for easy access.

I personally find mini towers a pain but each to there own.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

Tower cases were not so common for 286 era, so a more historically correct build for an 286 might better be in a desktop case. Aside from this, I always like mini/midi towers much more, compared to desktop cases (practical to work with), so if historical correctness is not an issue, I would go for the tower cases for both builds.

I only have one of the towers.. The question is, only the tower or the desktop.
But i have the comment here that my 386 build would have much cards to install and need having the space..
For my 286 iam using the tiny small factor AT boards.. And for my 386 build iam using the normal baby AT style boards which are bigger..
My sense saying if iam want to by period correct to put the 286 system in the desktop one..

Reply 9 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:

I'd go desktop for the 286 and tower for the 386. As far as working on them there really is no difference. One thing about desktops is the monitor can sit on top them giving a better viewing height and takes up less desktop space overall whilst placing all external media,fdds/cdrom etc, right in front of you for easy access.

I personally find mini towers a pain but each to there own.

Maybe the interal storage for the harddrives is something to consider as practical. Original the desktop was housed by a 386 system.. Didnt know the system that came with the case was the original equipment.

I want to use the desktop case for my 286 system.. Only the limited housing thing is, that it only can house one harddisk drive.. My goal for now it to go with at least a 500MB harddisk drive.. Would is make sense to use a SCSI storage controller, the fact is that the housing could only store one drive.. Or is IDE AT a better solution for it (i dont want to mess with MFM or RLL drives if i dont need do)

Reply 10 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

Yes. I'd hazard a guess though that the majority of 386s where of desktop design as well. certainly all the ones I've been given have been. I personally wouldn't bother with period correctness though. Build what you want not what others decide is "correct". That's the beauty of building you own systems and having fun in process. Build something a bit unique that suites your tastes. Be a rebel 😉

Using IDE makes sense if you haven't got scsi on hand along with using an IDE-CF converter. With going cf crd as the hdd mounting internally or have external access(this can be at the back or front by making a nice tidy slit in a drive bay blank. You can even have both internal or external if that suites. I'd fit a nic as well because the allows the use of an eprom with xt-ide bios extension if you decide to go that route.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 11, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Yes. I'd hazard a guess though that the majority of 386s where of desktop design as well. certainly all the ones I've been given have been.

It is a correct guess. Especially for brand name computers like HP, IBM, etc. During that era, most (if not all) brand name 386 (and even 486) PCs were desktop cases (excluding expensive special purpose hardware like servers). DIY market was different though (almost all mini towers, at least where I live)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000