VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a 286-16 PC from the dumpster and wanted to test it. First thing I noticed was battery corrosion so I desoldered the battery and cleaned everything up as good as possible.

I connect everyhing, turn it on and BANG!, an explosion, sparks flying around and the smell of burnt electronics. Holy shit! After inspecting the motherboard and finding nothing wrong with it, I look at the video card. Turns out one of the yellow capacitors exploded. I'm not sure why or if it's repairable...

Anyway, I tried the mobo with a different video card and it gives me an "CMOS INOPERATIONAL SYSTEM HALTED" error. Is this because there's no battery? I found a similar thread from 2011 here but it didn't help.

Cheers

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 12, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually the battery shouldn't prevent the system from actually booting. All it does is keep the settings saved, and the time/date current.

I wonder if the GPU exploding like that could have caused some damage, since I only can see shorted capacitors doing that.

Reply 2 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's what I thought too... I hooked up an external battery pack and it didn't help.

Maybe it was just that capacitor that was bad... don't know...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Looks more like a corrupt BIOS. Does the CMOS error happen immediately after turning the machine?

The first thing I see is 512K Trident blah blah... next screen "CMOS INOPERATIONAL..." 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 12, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

The first thing I see is 512K Trident blah blah... next screen "CMOS INOPERATIONAL..." 😀

Yep looks like board doesn't even POST. I'm not sure if 286 BIOS'es had a small 4k or 8k boot block, like 486's have. Looks like what you need is to burn a new BIOS into an EPROM. Or a pin compatible EEPROM for that matter, which IMHO make much more sense these days.

Reply 10 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE:
Desoldered the cap that exploded and it looks like the card works just fine without it.

I'm gonna sell the motherboard to somebody with more time to try and fix it. I think carlostex's solution would probably work.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 11 of 12, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Always check the power supply first before connection it working to the motherboard.. If the PSU fails. I wont kill other components..

Stupid thing is power the system on for sake, and hope that it actually would work.. You could have save you to much trouble here.

Half-Saint wrote:

UPDATE:
Desoldered the cap that exploded and it looks like the card works just fine without it.

I'm gonna sell the motherboard to somebody with more time to try and fix it. I think carlostex's solution would probably work.

I would replace that capicator if its possible, maybe its for stabilise the voltages on that card..

~ At least it can do black and white~