VOGONS

First post, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello everyone!

I'm playing arround with a game (3D Ultra Pinball - The Lost Continent) that uses DirectMusic. The thing is, even though I've set my default MIDI device to the external MPU, this thing uses the MS Software Wavetable. I believe the problem resides in the fact that this game uses DIrectMusic, because in DXDiag the MS software midi shows as the default output. Does anyone know how to set the default DirectMusic device to anything other than that?

Reply 1 of 4, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm playing arround with a game (3D Ultra Pinball - The Lost Continent) that uses DirectMusic. The thing is, even though I've set my default MIDI device to the external MPU, this thing uses the MS Software Wavetable. I believe the problem resides in the fact that this game uses DIrectMusic, because in DXDiag the MS software midi shows as the default output. Does anyone know how to set the default DirectMusic device to anything other than that?

Try

http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtilitie … IDI_Mapper.html

Reply 2 of 4, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The system in question is using Windows 98. Would that applet even work? It seems to just change the MIDI Mapper settings, which I already have set correctly.

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt it'll help since most DirectMusic games have music designed for custom DLS banks which aren't natively supported by most cards in the least. It would probably sound like a mess of unrelated instruments if you force it to the mapper

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game is Win95/Win3.11 compatible (so it struck me as odd for it to use DirectX), so the MIDIs aren't very exotic. I actually played them in media player just fine.

One thing that is interesting: there is a Win31 folder on the CD with a DSOUND.DLL and a DSOUND.INI. This appears to be some weird DirectSound emulation for WIndows 3.11+Win32s Oo
Copying this DLL to the game folder did not do anything for the music, unfortunately.