VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

I've built this retro 486DX2 based with the original 3 ISA -> 1 board. I would like to use it with arachne browser to see how it runs in Dos. The problem I get is that installing the NE2000 packet driver it seems to load correctly on autoexec but I get an FF:FF:FF:FF:FF address as mac. In arachne if I set DHCP it can't resolve it but if I use static ip it seems to be online (green TCPIP text) but no web page not even the router page.
I have tested the card in Win98 and it is ok. I found the original KE2000 Genius drivers but it seems to not detect it either. I changed ISA connector beetween the SoundBlaster card. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Your opinion?

Thank
bye

Reply 1 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it connected directly to the router or though a network switch or hub?

Whats the exact model no. of the card? I suspect because it functioned fine in Win98 it is currently set in PnP mode. There should be a jumper or software setup setting to change it so you set it up manually.

Also install and set up the mTCP suite. It comes with a dos ping.exe you can use to check connectivity to your network and varifying the packet driver is loaded ok. This'll determine if it's just an Arachne issue you're having.

I had to set the IP manually in Arachne using it on my 286. It works fine so wouldn't sweat too much over that issue.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 8, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are getting all FFs for the MAC address then the packet driver is not using the correct I/O port address for the card. Check for port conflicts and make sure that the port address is set correctly when loading the packet driver.

Reply 3 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know exactly cause there're no serial numbers or code on the pcb but a sticker with an hand written "Genius KE2000 PNP". I found this driver but it cant detect it either. No jumpers on the board and I am sure it already was tested in dos some time ago.
How can I check I/O addresses and the right configuration for ne2000 packed driver?

Reply 5 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

I don't know exactly cause there're no serial numbers or code on the pcb but a sticker with an hand written "Genius KE2000 PNP". I found this driver but it cant detect it either. No jumpers on the board and I am sure it already was tested in dos some time ago.
How can I check I/O addresses and the right configuration for ne2000 packed driver?

If you don't have any jumpers on it, it must be a software configurable card. You need to find the brand specific configuration software tool to adjust its IRQ and I/O address correctly.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try using the device property settings in win98. See what the nic is set it as there. Who knows you might get luck using that int & base address.

Reply 7 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post a good pic of the nic? If it's a GeniusLan(KYE)GE2000 it should be pretty easy to set up.

Reply 8 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card is definetely a Genius KE2000 PNP. I've found a Digital utility that see it and identify at boot and the program set up ISA cards updating something. It can let you set up irq memory dma and stuff but for this card I can only strangely setup IRQ and address. Anyway I didn't already test it with usual ne2000.com setup but certainly ke2000 original autoinst utility can't see it.