VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

I set up this main pc a K62-500, MPV3, 384Mb and Matrox Mystique PCI + Matrox M3D (PCX2 drivers). I have to say I am quiet impressed by the FPU difference of this processor compared to the K6-233 or P200 I tested it last time. Half life runs quiet well, with some graphic error and lack of the right effects but still playable. Quake 2 with the AMD patch run almost similar to the other cards, not smoothest but still playable at 640x480 or 800x600.

I was thinking and like to ask if there's a "Powervr driver + 3DNow" combination of these patches cause it seems to support only 3dnow+software render or Opengl or 3dfx one and I suspect that the Pvr one is the same of the original demo.

By the way considering how cheap was this card I think now I should have bought this one in the the past to "replace" the S3 Trio3D acceleration.😁

Bye

Last edited by 386SX on 2015-02-22, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it replaces ref_gl.dll then it should still work with the pvrgl.dll MiniGL driver. IF it doesn't (opengl32.dll) then it won't.

I don't have the 3dNow! patch onhand since I don't have any real 3dnow! PCs alive anymore 🙁

I wouldn't count on 3dnow! improving things for the PCX2 anyhow, it's bus-starved.

Last edited by leileilol on 2015-02-22, 22:01. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

If it replaces ref_gl.dll then it should still work with the pvrgl.dll MiniGL driver.

But do you think 3dnow is used in every way? Cause I see that it specifically divide on the left video menu all the 3dnow! options and on the right the usual Opengl, Powevr or Software options.

Reply 3 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

don't have any real 3dnow! PCs alive anymore 🙁

K6 processors and 3dnow forever and ever...😁

Reply 4 of 4, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no 3DNow version of the PowerVR MiniGL if that's what you are thinking. What you'd have to do is to put the PowerVR MiniGL as openg32.dll in the Quake2 and select "3DNow! OpenGL" in the game.
If you like you can use a slightly newer version of the MiniGL like this one: http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/download … l-minigl-driver

I don't think that the game will run any faster, though. Even with a faster CPU the card is limited to ~25fps in Quake2, see eg. here: http://www.vintage3d.org/pcx2.php
The K6-2 500 should easily run the game at this speed without 3DNow. The 3DNow-Patch is most useful for Voodoo2/3.

@leileilol: bus-starved? I don't know, 640x480 @30fps uses ~18MB/s so that shouldn't be the bottleneck, and other games do run faster in that resolution. I guess reasons for slow-downs are mostly dual-texturing and texture uploads.