VOGONS

First post, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Click on each picture to hear the Duke3d Theme for the coresponding HW.
zY7HoWxm.jpg
HiRes

P73Wr1Am.jpg
HiRes

gTXXNPam.jpg
HiRes

Duke3D Theme with Default GUS Ultramid.ini
Duke3D on SC-88 Pro Using SC-88 Pro map

Last edited by Synoptic on 2015-02-24, 13:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Thirst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice! I'm leaning toward the SC-88 rendition, but I'm probably biased towards that one out of familiarity. The Ultrasound one seems a bit tinny to my ears.

Reply 3 of 14, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have to agree with Thirst, the GUS version sounds pretty crap to me.

Reply 4 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried using MegaEm to enable MT32/Sound Canvas emulation on the GUS, and then running Duke3D in MT32/Sound Canvas mode?
I know Doom sounded better that way than with native GUS, because the MegaEm patch-set was much better than the one ID included.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 14, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:

Have you tried using MegaEm to enable MT32/Sound Canvas emulation on the GUS, and then running Duke3D in MT32/Sound Canvas mode?
I know Doom sounded better that way than with native GUS, because the MegaEm patch-set was much better than the one ID included.

Yes, didn't try it though. Will definitely try it !

Reply 6 of 14, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny... I have a SC-88 PRO and the sound is a bit different. Your unit is lacking depth and certain sounds are inaudible. Did you use the native mode or SC-55 compatible mode?

Reply 7 of 14, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

Funny... I have a SC-88 PRO and the sound is a bit different. Your unit is lacking depth and certain sounds are inaudible. Did you use the native mode or SC-55 compatible mode?

SC-55 mode (as shown on picture).

Reply 8 of 14, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scali wrote:

Duke3d makes the computer resets when trying to talk to the GUS in MEGA-EM mode... weird. Ideas ?

Reply 9 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AFAIK Duke3D does not include a custom patch set, just a ultramid.ini with definitions.

What is the point in trying Megaem if you can replace Duke3Ds own definitions with the GUS default ini file?

Which instrument pat set do you actually use? (4.11 default, Propats Lite 1.5 / 1.61, ProPats 3.0, Utopia...)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 14, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

AFAIK Duke3D does not include a custom patch set, just a ultramid.ini with definitions.

What is the point in trying Megaem if you can replace Duke3Ds own definitions with the GUS default ini file?

Which instrument pat set do you actually use? (4.11 default, Propats Lite 1.5 / 1.61, ProPats 3.0, Utopia...)

Yes, Duke3D uses a custom Ultramid.ini.
I never really bnothered trying other patches. How does it work ? It replaces the default patches ? Could you link me to alternate patches ?

Duke3D Theme with Default GUS Ultramid.ini
Duke3D on SC-88 Pro Using SC-88 Pro map

Reply 11 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you can find a few: ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/Gravis/UltraSound/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 14, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Think i prefer soundblaster.. But i did play a lot of dn3d and perhaps got used to it

Reply 13 of 14, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Duke Nukem 3D in-game music sounds very "flat" with the GUS; lack of reverb & chorus really hurts it. The alternate patch sets in the link elianda posted could make it sound better (haven't tried them on my GUS ACE, the original patch set is fine for me 😀 ), just keep your expectations reasonable.

Ooohh, the pain......