VOGONS

IBM PS/1 Tower

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought an IBM PS/1 Tower computer from a local auction house and it is pretty ok shape.
At first the seller only offered hte system board and raiser, but i managed to get him to send me the floppy and psu as well.
PSU came dead, but the floppy had a hidden message on a piece of paper inside of it 😁

MtudTnim.jpg

It says - "Teacher (female) every one in the entire school loves you very much" 😊

The case had some damage from shipping but it is not that noticable. On the other hand hte riser board has a punchured capacitor.
The riser board slots above it still work so i guess its not that big of a problem, i will probably replace it sooner or latter.
61May1qm.jpg

On the other hand the hard drive seems to have been used as an anchor or something 🤣
wdSnXrQm.jpg

The board has marking/writtings on it that say - Card Shark. I tried to google IBM card shark but nothing was found. I also could not find hte exact same image of this board.
Does this mean anything? What is that slot used for?
pjJH7Ofm.jpg

And in general, are these IBMs good retro computers?
All i want to do is some MS-DOS derping.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats true 😁
I wish one day I could find one of those tower MCA ones (aaaaaah)

I intend on using this one with AWE32 for Note and other chiptune stuff, and also MIDI playback.
I have an AHA-1542CF and an 9.1GB IBM SCSI Drive for all my needs.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

It says - "Teacher (female) every one in the entire school loves you very much" 😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyMQLrnbBgE 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The connector on the bottem, assuming that's what you ment by "slot", edge of the board is a vesa feature connector. The FRU No. on that white sticker is the board ID No. and should bring up something. It's not unusual for mobos to have some sort of graphic, for example my one of my machines has a one eyed alian head.

Have fun with it. Should be good if everything works ok. Like any manufacturer your milage my vary on how reliable it is. PS/1 and ValuePoint machines were produced to try and claw back some of the market share off the clones. You might well find your machine was put together in Scotland.

My last PS/1 ended up in the rubbish bin.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉