VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My parents used to have a Pentium 2 IBM Intellistation from that time period. The case was styled very much like this one, but black. They never reported any issues with it, other than when it was getting too slow for the modern internet.
It looks like your case uses standard front panel connectors. The Intellistation used a proprietary ribbon cable.

The only Slot-A board I've used was an Asus K7M that I tested a bit, and found working fine, but haven't made extended use of.
Athlons are good CPUs, AMD's problem back then was chipsets. AGP support definitely had issues.
Also, many retail Athlon motherboards were cheaply made to target low budget buyers. I think OEM boards tended to be better though.
For example, I remember one Slot-A motherboard that had half the mosfets missing on the retail model, but the Compaq version was fully populated. This IBM is probably another good quality board compared to many of the retail ones. You're still dealing with an early Athlon chipset though, and I'm sure it will try to give you some AGP issues.

Reply 21 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Btw, there's a very similar-looking IBM PC-300PL series tower case with all PCI slots mounted on a RISER. Yes, riser in a tower case. Huge tower case with a lot of space.

Reply 22 of 24, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I'd run a GeForce 256 or something in a machine from that era, but on that one I think I'd go with a Trident Blade T64 as I have one I'll never use and it seems like a good match.

Agree on not using a GF in that machine - those early AMD chipsets were known for AGP troubles with Geforces (though this might be worked around with proper registry entries).
A V3 sounds like a good match, avoids all AGP trouble.

Reply 23 of 24, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I'll throw the build together tomorrow and see how she goes. I've never messed around with a system built around a K7 processor, so at the very least, it will be a learning experience - hopefully a good one. I have a ton of graphics cards laying around, so I'll probably throw in a V3-3000 AGP first and see what (if any) issues I run into.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 24 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran a bunch of GeForce cards on my ASUS K7M a few months back. NVidia detects AMD 750 and forces AGP 1x operation. Trying to enable 2x causes lock ups. GeForce FX runs ok with AGP 2x forced however. GeForce 256 also had a slight but noticeable stutter on this platform. GeForce2 and later didn't have this behavior. I've been meaning to try GF256 on other chipsets and see if it is smoother or if this is behavior that nobody noted of this GPU back in the day.

Riva 128 and TNT ran 2X by default without issue.

S3 Savage 3D, Savage 2000 and Intel 740 ran 2X AGP as well IIRC. Savage3D and i740 locked up sometimes but were actually pretty solid. Maybe a freeze once an hour when gaming. The Savage2000 seemed fine.

My number 1 choice for a system with a CPU of this performance is a Voodoo5. You will get the most from that slower CPU if you can use Glide. It can make a huge difference in performance in some cases, especially Unreal engine games.