VOGONS

First post, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi ! Now that I have both MT-32, I would like to know of any games that were made for the Version 1 "only".
For example, 4D boxing has issue with version 0 with semitones not being supported correctly on version 0 of the MT-32.

Are there any other games you think of ? I will record the differences and post them.

Reply 1 of 4, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess all games that have buffer overruns on Version 0, and don't use CM-32L sounds fall into this category.

Two examples I'm aware of are Gods and the floppy version of X-Wing. There are some others here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-co … _computer_games, marked with (2).

The differences aren't something you could record though, they just sound completely wrong on a Version 0 (or in the case of X-Wing actually crash the MT-32).

Reply 2 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe it's likely that they used a LAPC-I for testing, rather than a MT-32 (New). And simply didn't make use of the extra sound effects.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 4, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synoptic wrote:

Hi ! Now that I have both MT-32, I would like to know of any games that were made for the Version 1 "only".
For example, 4D boxing has issue with version 0 with semitones not being supported correctly on version 0 of the MT-32.

Are there any other games you think of ? I will record the differences and post them.

Only the european version of 4D Boxing does have that problem which is known as 4D Sports Boxing. the US version has different music which doesn't use the MT-32 in a way the Old units bug. At least the US version is the version i played as a kid strange as i might be since i'm from europe. But the music in the US version for the MT-32 seems to play fine. At least i don't hear any issues with it.
The european version does give the bug on my old MT-32 indeed.

Now i don't know of any other games that might have a similar issue. In fact Gods actually sounds OK in my MT-32. At least i didn't hear anything wrong.

Reply 4 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Synoptic wrote:

If you use SoftMPU with the /delaysysex command line switch, then you won't experience this problem under a Rev.0 MT-32 module (refer to the SoftMPU section under the main Boad Index).
Similarly, if you run your games out of DosBox, you also have the option to apply a system exclusive message delay.