VOGONS

First post, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently acquired an Aztech Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+ (I38-MMSN826).
Problem I'm having is that, after installing the DOS drivers, the sound card utility doesn't pick up the card. It just says "sound card not detected". The diagnostics also doesn't detect the card.
I'm pretty sure I have loaded the correct drivers as they are the ones from Aztech's ftp site.
When I load the Wavetide utility, it does pick up the Wavefront chipset.
I've tested the card on a 386 & 486 motherboard.
Any ideas how I can test the chipset of the card? Fear I might have bought a dud.

Reply 3 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Attached is a pic of the sound card that I've mentioned in this post.
The area that I've circled in red becomes very hot when the PC is turned on (so hot that I cannot hold my finger on it for very long).

What could be the cause? Could it be a blown capacitor? How can you tell if a capacitor is blown?

Attachments

• Waverider.jpg
    Filename
    Waverider.jpg
    File size
    295.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Waverider 32+
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

How can you tell if a capacitor is blown? What must I look out for?
I have a sound card that is not working (refer this post - Aztech Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+ not working)
The DOS utilities aren't picking up the card and I'm fearing that somewhere, something has blown. I'm new to this but, I'm hoping it might be a capacitor as it seems relatively easy to replace?

To reply to your question on my Pentium topic and to keep my topic clean, I'll answer you here!!

There are some pictures around Google that show blow caps and the way they usually look, but in old hardware they can only have "dried" and loose their capacitance and never look like a blown cap, because they are not blown, just dry, and that means they reached the end of their lives!

There are some capacitive checkers and there are some multimeters that have the capability of checking capacitance on a circuit, and tomorrow I'll post a picture of the one I use on my job, that is excellent!
The only drawback is that the capacitor need to be out of the circuit in order to make a good readout, and if you went that route (of removing the caps to test them) and don't just replace them right away, (joking mode ON) you are a cheap ass because all the capacitors on that sound card should cost less than a menu on McDonald's !!!!!! (joking mode OFF)

The hot components on the card are the Amplifier components and they should be hot, not sure if they should always be hot, but they at least should be when reproducing sound!

Hope this helps

Reply 5 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the manual and the original floppies of this same card. The manual was scanned, but not yet made into a proper PDF.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, here is the manual. hope it helps.

I got this card only last year, and never tried it. The drivers in the package are just the usual ones found on the internet.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 15, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NiPPonD3nZ0 wrote:

The hot components on the card are the Amplifier components and they should be hot, not sure if they should always be hot, but they at least should be when reproducing sound!

The TDA1517 is the amplifier, the 7805 or 7905 (on the left) is a voltage regulator, and it could very well be blown if it's always hot. But maybe not.

Reply 8 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

OK, here is the manual. hope it helps.

I got this card only last year, and never tried it. The drivers in the package are just the usual ones found on the internet.

Thank you for this. Always useful to have a manual.
If you ever want to part with your card, let me know 😀

Reply 10 of 15, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:
NiPPonD3nZ0 wrote:

The TDA1517 is the amplifier, the 7805 or 7905 (on the left) is a voltage regulator, and it could very well be blown if it's always hot. But maybe not.

What is strange is that the voltage regulator is very hot while the sound card is not producing any sound (I can't even get it to produce sound because, the PC is not picking up the card).

I could try to replace the voltage regulator first and then see what happens. If there is no change, then I can swop out all the capacitors. If that doesn't work, then one of the chips are probably fried which then leaves me with a card that I can use for spare parts (to try and remove any of the chipsets is going to be too cumbersome for me).

Unfortunately, I received the card via the post wrapped in bubble wrap and not in an anti static bag. That being said, I've previously received sound cards this way and they are still working.

Reply 13 of 15, by brad1982_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Move the JMPCFG Jumper from 1-2 EPPROM Setting to the 2-3 Software setting. Hopefully this will solve your problem. I have a similar Waverider PRO 32 which is the non plus version and I briefly remember "Sound Card not detected" when the cards JMPCFG jumper is set to EPPROM setting.

Reply 15 of 15, by NiPPonD3nZ0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The capacitor analyzer I have on my job that works a charm, but expensive to buy just to test your sound card 😀

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr70.html