VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I have a Micro Center within 50 miles of my house. Their store is the Mecca for (fairly modern) computer components. It is huge and has shelves and aisles of cables, peripherals, cases, etc. It is the closest brick-and-mortar equivalent to a NewEgg, even if the prices usually are not as cheap.

I take it you don't have a Fry's near you?

Reply 21 of 26, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh, I've totally gone off using LCD screens. I regretted switching to them back in 2009 and when I finally got the chance to switch back at the end of last year I didn't hesitate at all. Loving these CRT monitors. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 26, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:
5u3 wrote:

20" 1600x1200 IPS screens are very cool for DOS if you can live with the juddering in 70 Hz VGA modes.

Will that only happen in IPS screens?

I'm not sure, but it happened on all IPS screens I've tested (about a dozen different monitors at home and work), while most TN panels did not have the issue. To be fair, there are not that many games where it really matters, and it's one of these things you can easily ignore until you've seen a direct comparison.

carlostex wrote:
- 4:3 1600x1200 or even 1920x1200; - VGA analog input (rather obvious); - 50 - 85Hz capable; - Minimum 16ms response time (the f […]
Show full quote

- 4:3 1600x1200 or even 1920x1200;
- VGA analog input (rather obvious);
- 50 - 85Hz capable;
- Minimum 16ms response time (the faster the better);
- Good screen adjustment options (borders, aspect ratio, etc);

My usual recommendation for retro VGA+modern usage would be Samsungs 1920x1200 TN screens, however production of these seems to be phased out (In my region, only one model is left available to be bought new).

Reply 23 of 26, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

My usual recommendation for retro VGA+modern usage would be Samsungs 1920x1200 TN screens, however production of these seems to be phased out (In my region, only one model is left available to be bought new).

Hmmm i wouldn't mind buying just a monitor for retro usage, but always good to know. I'm gonna keep an eye out for monitors that might be good candidates for DOS.

Reply 24 of 26, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received a recommendation of the NEC Multisync 2090uxi from a member of the ZDoom forum. He says that this 1600x1200 LCD will do perfect nearest neighbour scaling to whole multiples of the input res, maintain proper aspect ratio and do auto pillar/letterboxing. 320x200 goes to 1600x1000, 320x240 goes to 1600x1200. Great for low res DOS.

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K

Reply 26 of 26, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LCD Design has barely improved over the past 5 years as LEDs were a bit of a scam and not much improvement on TFT monitors, Once we see OLED and newer technology roll out we might find the ideal monitor for retro systems, due to space constraints I've had to sacrifice my computer area for a childs bedroom so im going to be improvising my setup, at this stage I'll be running my Pentium Pro system through a 6200 DVI-HDMI adapter into a 60" Panasonic Plasma, The VGA input support is poor at a max resolution of 1366x768 and lost signal quite easily due to unsupported refresh rates I presume, hopefully it will run through the DVI/HDMI without too many issues, at least it will have a better picture than your typical LED LCD.