VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok I bought a used Audigy for my Windows 98 box, the onboard audio was just bad for the board I'm using. Creative's website only lists the driver update for the audigy, not the source driver and because this was purchased used, the original CD is of course not with it.

Reply 4 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does the Audigy work for you under Windows 98?

I always found the Live! cards a bit frustrating and tend to use Aureal Vortex 2 cards. But the Audigy could be a great choice for those early EAX games. Wondering if the Audigy 2 will also work under Windows 98?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly it works great for me so far, have done limited testing, but prior to the Audigy I had a Live in this machine, which also worked fine. I only got the audigy because a local used computer retailer is going out of bussiness with 60% discount on everything. So I paid 2.99 for the Audigy.

Reply 7 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly if any of yall where in DFW I'd tell you to go to this store, they have everything you could want as long as its older than 2002, heck I almost bought a 486 board with cpu for 12 bucks 🤣.

Reply 8 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

How does the Audigy work for you under Windows 98?

I always found the Live! cards a bit frustrating and tend to use Aureal Vortex 2 cards. But the Audigy could be a great choice for those early EAX games. Wondering if the Audigy 2 will also work under Windows 98?

I always try to keep an eye out for Audigy 2zx cards as they seem to work great for me under Windows98SE.

I've personally had lots of issues with the Aureal Vortex 2 cards under 98se. mostly it seems like an issue with VIA chipsets but it seems like I usually have a 50/50 chance of the card working in any given machine. it either works perfect with no issues or it makes my machine freeze right after bootup. then whenever I uninstall it I usually get some "insert file here" missing error on boot after I remove the drivers. But that said, when I find a setup it does work with it seems to work flawlessly.

Reply 9 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool.

I have a few 2 ZS cards. Great to hear that they work well under Windows 98. What drivers do you use? Installation CD from Vogons driver archive?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audigy 2 works but installation is annoying (yes, by CD) and you ideally want to switch from the default WDM drivers to VXD otherwise some EAX games don't sound correct. Somewhere in the docs Creative even says VXD is superior for gaming. Unfortunately the VXD drivers don't support some features like the equalizer. Install can take like 10 minutes from the CD and then you need to do some more rebooting to switch to VXD.

You can reduce the pain by going with Audigy 1 because its CD will install VXD drivers by default. Audigy 1's main issue is noise on the line out when you use headphone mode.

Personally I prefer Aureal or VLSI Thunderbird based cards because install is significantly less annoying and the cards themselves seem to be more stable. Less picky about other PCI devices.

Reply 11 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Cool.

I have a few 2 ZS cards. Great to hear that they work well under Windows 98. What drivers do you use? Installation CD from Vogons driver archive?

I lucked out and found one complete boxed at a thrift with the install CD so that's what I use. Like Swaaye said the install takes forever though and yes, you really do need to reboot and switch drivers which is a hassle. after its all done though I think it makes a great Win98se sound card. I think its about the last card with 98 support and pretty clean sound.