VOGONS

What is the best AWE32?

Topic actions

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much the title. What is the best model of the AWE32?

Reply 2 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

This is a good article about the different revisions:

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.no/2012/07/so … 64-options.html

Also refer to this link: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Hanging_note_bug
and this post: which model No. /revisions of the AWE32 are actually the best?

I think that your best options would either be the CT2760, CT3900 (both non PnP) or CT3980 (PnP). It just depends on whether you want to set up hardware settings with jumpers or, whether you're comfortable with setting up everything in software via the Plug and Play configuration manager.
I bought a CT3980 last year for myself since I'm comfortable and familiar with setting up PnP cards in DOS.
These particular models (especially the non PnP ones) are becoming scarce. So, expect to pay a hefty price for one.

Just take note of the following:
These are full length cards so, you need to make sure you have a case that it will fit into.

My CT3980 (I've read about similar problems with other Sound Blaster 16/AWE32's) has the "crackling" sound in both DOS and Windows.
The way around it is to just disable your high DMA channel (usually channel 5).
In Windows, you have to manually override your SB16 device manager settings (untick the automatic option) and choose an option that does not have the high DMA channel specified (in my Windows 98 installation, it was basic configuration 0004).

Reply 3 of 13, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I prefer the CT3980. Easy to configure, very good overall quality.
Has a "3D" sound feature which also adds noise to the output when activated. But one can disable the "3D" sound feature with a AWEUTIL parameter in the autoexec.bat. With the 3D features disabled, the CT3980 it is a very quiet card. Other models (earlier, for example the initial CT2760) are noisier.
I'd recommend a card with genuine OPL3 circuit, so a CT2760, CT3900, CT3910, CT3980 would come into consideration.
I'd avoid the CT3990 - it doesn't have the Yamaha OPL3 synth but Creatives own CQM synthesis which sounds noticable different from the Yamaha original.

If you don't care about true Yamaha FM sound you can buy the CT3670. This card is a SB32 PnP and routes the CQM FM sound through the EMU8000 - like the AWE cards do. This means you can also use Reverb / Chorus for the FM sound. This quiet card also has a Hanging Notes Bug FREE DSP (4.16) so it is a good choice for external midi devices. However, other good AWE cards with DSP 4.13 are not very prone to the Hanging Notes Bug either.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

If you don't care about true Yamaha FM sound you can buy the CT3670. This card is a SB32 PnP and routes the CQM FM sound through the EMU8000 - like the AWE cards do. This means you can also use Reverb / Chorus for the FM sound. This quiet card also has a Hanging Notes Bug FREE DSP (4.16) so it is a good choice for external midi devices. However, other good AWE cards with DSP 4.13 are not very prone to the Hanging Notes Bug either.

Great card! It was the most popular Sound Blaster in Russia, perhaps even the most popular Creative ISA sound card over here. I only wish it had a WT header.

Reply 5 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are looking at a CT3670, then an AWE64 might also be a viable option.

Reply 6 of 13, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sure. But the CT3670 has 2 SIMM slot which makes RAM expansion much more easier. With relatively easy to get 4MB Simms one can load very good sounding 8MB soundfonts in Windows.
I also find the CT3670 quieter than the CT4500 / 4520.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

These are full length cards so, you need to make sure you have a case that it will fit into.

That seems to be an urban myth. AWE32 cards are not full length. In fact they are about 1 cm too short to be full length. This is a bad design since they can not be attached with a standard handle for full length cards in cases that support it.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

Yeah, sure. But the CT3670 has 2 SIMM slot which makes RAM expansion much more easier. With relatively easy to get 4MB Simms one can load very good sounding 8MB soundfonts in Windows.

That is true and the fact that most AWE32 models have the Waveblaster connector.

Fortunately, I was able to obtain the simmcon memory expansion module for my AWE64, which then makes memory upgrades much easier. You can then upgrade your memory with a standard 72-pin simm.

Reply 9 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
jesolo wrote:

That seems to be an urban myth. AWE32 cards are not full length. In fact they are about 1 cm too short to be full length. This is a bad design since they can not be attached with a standard handle for full length cards in cases that support it.

True, what I was actually trying to convey is that an AWE32 will not always fit into a standard case.

Reply 10 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

- With a SIMMCONN and a cheap 32MB 72 pin SIMM module, you can upgrade our AWE64 as easily, if not easier. 😎
- OWC computing still sells new 16MB 30 pin SIMM modules for an acceptable price, if you need 32MB on your AWE32. 😈

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 13, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, you're right, an AWE64 from the CT4500 / 4520 / 4380 series with SIMMCONN is also easy to obtain. I think it's more expensive than a CT3670 but maybe not by much. In the end it's the same and up to personal preference.

Reply 12 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I went ahead and tested a NOS CT2760. I was quite impressed by the sound quality. I tried default sounds from diagnose.exe and then played some Duke Nukem 3D. The EMU really shines on that one! Signal to noise ratio is much better than of two CT3670 I have: I can hardly hear anything except for music/fx through headphones. CT3670 was my first SB card and I thought it was supposed to be noisy given that tech level, but now I see how wrong I was.

Reply 13 of 13, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a few AWE32 cards, definitely the best ones were: CT2760 and CT3900(Newer).
Both cards are quite quiet if you worry about that. But as mentioned, due to pricing of these cards an AWE64 with SIMMCON is much more wallet friendly 😀
But you loose on genuine OPL3.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"