VOGONS

XP on P3 1.4GHz

Topic actions

First post, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How well can I expect a P3 Tualatin 1.4GHz, TUSL2-C, 512MB RAM machine to perform with XP and same-period games?

Reply 1 of 17, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

P.S. Video card is a 6800GT AGP

Reply 2 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fine.

CPU is a little weak for post-2005 stuff though, but should still be fine for everything before.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 17, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Agreed, it'll work well for early 2000s, late 90s, etc. Stuff like Fallout 3 might not love you, but stuff like Halo should be good.

Reply 4 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

should do rather well, a P3 1.4 is what about as fast as a P4 1.8 or Athlon XP 1600 correct? If so you should be fine.

Reply 5 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd stick to 2000-2001 games. Even some of those can benefit from more CPU power than a P3-S. It's optimistic to say it's similar to an Athlon XP unless you're talking about a SDRAM-based Athlon. It will be quite memory bandwidth bottlenecked.

XP itself will run fine as long as you can get enough RAM in the machine. 512MB won't be great.

Reply 6 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

I'd stick to 2000-2001 games. Even some of those can benefit from more CPU power than a P3-S. It's optimistic to say it's similar to an Athlon XP unless you're talking about a SDRAM-based Athlon. It will be quite memory bandwidth bottlenecked.

well back in 01 how many people where running DDR for their athlons, I remember my friends that could even afford an Athlon where buying KT133A boards which is how I'd pair a palomino up anyway.

Reply 7 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

well back in 01 how many people where running DDR for their athlons, I remember my friends that could even afford an Athlon where buying KT133A boards which is how I'd pair a palomino up anyway.

I have no idea why you'd see KT133A as the ideal Palomino platform. That was Thunderbird or Spitfire.

DDR was similar to/cheaper than SDRAM per capacity in 2001.

Reply 8 of 17, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will work great. As long as you have 256 MB of RAM or more.

-edit-
I see you have 512. No problems. You can probably play games up to about 2003 or use it for light browsing

Reply 9 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very light web browsing.

Reply 10 of 17, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

512MB is fine for XP as long as you stay away from SP3.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 11 of 17, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a SuperMicro server with dual 1.4GHz Tualatins and 2GB ECC, and it seemed pretty slow, but it could be the hard drive is slow as well, plus it's only PATA. But the system only has a single PCI-X slot, which I always planned on filling with a better video card.

Reply 12 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I'd blame the hard drive. Try that system with a SSD on a SATA/PATA adapter and it'll overhaul your opinion of the system. PATA itself is not the issue. Even UDMA66 is plenty to make a really smooth system.

Reply 13 of 17, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

512MB is fine for XP as long as you stay away from SP3.

Amen to that. Agreed.

Reply 14 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always had the impression that SP2 is the one that ramped specs up and SP1a was the sweet spot. All I remember, though, is that my dad's notebook (256MB RAM) performed decently with retail XP, but crawled when I formatted it and put SP3 in there.

Reply 15 of 17, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly SP2 was the start of the hog, with SP2 1gb became the recomended norm, and 512 computers instantly seemed much slower. If its a choice, I'd use Windows 2000 over XP SP1, as at least 2000 has newer software supporting it than XP SP1, and its even less of a resource hog.

Reply 16 of 17, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the replies. I may need to go with Windows 2000 then. As I'm sure you all know, the TUSL2-C will not support more than 512mb. The only XP disc I have includes service pack 3. If I'm going to have to procure another disc, I might as well try to find a nice copy of Win2k on eBay.