VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So on 2000 and XP I'm using filezilla to access files on my Windows 8.1 rig's storage drive, but what about Windows ME/98/95 rigs? I wasn't really using FTP back then, but the FTP host is the built in Windows 8.1 FTP client in the IIS so I need to be able to communicate with it effectively

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to use WS_FTP back in the day, followed by Bulletproof and then CuteFTP, and finally settling on Filezilla (on modern systems - it used to support Win98 at some recent point)

I never used FTP to do local transfers though, so these choices are in the context of grabbing off FTP mirror sites 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well its easier to pick files I want form 98 than to go to 8 and send to 98 🤣

Reply 3 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here I use good old Windows file sharing and have a folder in my main PC mounted as a drive on my retro machine... but I think I needed to install the unnoficial service pack and change a few settings on Windows 8.1.

Reply 4 of 10, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i used to use flashfxp, but windows command line ftp and even internet explorer would do too.

Reply 6 of 10, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What was the latest FileZilla to support Windows NT 4.0?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 8 of 10, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinSCP for Windows XP+ and Core FTP LE for older ones.

BTW, FileZilla doesn't support XP anymore.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 9 of 10, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
alexanrs wrote:

Here I use good old Windows file sharing and have a folder in my main PC mounted as a drive on my retro machine... but I think I needed to install the unnoficial service pack and change a few settings on Windows 8.1.

I do the same!

No service packs needed. It's actually surprisingly easy. I did a tutorial on this a while ago:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/network-tutorial.html

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice guide, but in my case I did not want to give "Everyone" full access to my files (there are other people on the network), so I had to install an update on Windows 98, but MS does not have that update up for download (it is one of those updates you have to request), so I ended up installing the unofficial service pack which includes it.