VOGONS

Can't get windows Stable

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so I've been trying to get Windows Stable on my Athlon XP for a few days, XP and 2000 are rock solid, but 98SE or ME are just lockup and crash happy if i move the mouse. I have used the latest drivers for everything so no .vxd drivers only wdm drivers so far. No unoffical service packs ect, and only using 512mb of ram. I can't get them stable, not even close to stable.

Specs:

AThlon XP 2800+
ECS K7VTA3 V8.0 KT333 chipset
PNY 6800GS flashed to 6800Ultra Extreme stress tested for 12 hour loop of 3dmark06 in P4 system already.
40gb WD Hard Drive
500GB Seagate (not hooked up until I get Chipset IDE drivers installed 48bit LBA and all that)
512mb Kingston DDR333 2x256mb tested in memtestx86 for 12 hours no errors
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 this is where the problems start, with SB16 Emulation installation always, always locking the computer when attempting to install 🙁
19in Acer LCD (I know CRT is better but I don't have a big enough desk for a CRT yet)
PS2 Keyboard and PS2 Mouse

Reply 1 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it stable in safe mode?

Reply 2 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh yea 100% stable in safemode, but safemode isn't very useful for doing much anything and i looked for SB16 its not listed under system in safemode grrrr

i think ill just run this machine with 2000 on it, and work on putting together a proper 1999 computer

Reply 3 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it stable with the Live! removed from the system?

Reply 4 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes its more stable, but I need the live for its gameport 🤣

Under 2k and XP no issues it works 100% fine, that is the source of my confusion

Reply 5 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

XP tends to be a lot more stable than Win9x. Even the same hardware can be unstable in Win9x but stable on 2K/XP. Try running the Live! in different PCI slots.

Reply 6 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

found the problem, turned off serial and parelle ports on my motherboard, and boom SB16 is working 🤣

I've got to say, I don't know why it took me 3 days, for something so simple, I just havn't thought about IRQ's in a very long time.

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be it was trying to use the parallel IRQ and blowing up Windows 98 in the process. This shouldn't be a problem but yeah you never know what is going to cause a problem with 9x.

Reply 8 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well I might just go 2k anyway, looking at my games I intend to play, they'd all work fine on XP and 2k anyway.

well I might just go 2k anyway, looking at my games I intend to play, they'd all work fine on XP and 2k anyway.

SimTower
SimCity 2000 Windows 95 edition
Command and Conquer Gold
Red Alert
Tiberian Sun
SimCopter
Star Trek Starfleet Academy
" Starfleet Command
" Stafleet Command II
" Armada II
" Bridge Commander
" Elite Force
" Elite Force II
Star Wars Rouge Squadron 3D
Warcraft II BnE
Warcraft III + Expansion
Civilization II Gold Edition
Combat Flight Simulator
Combat Flight Simulator 2
Mig Alley
Midtown Madness 2

Reply 9 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The main reasons I see for 98SE are Aureal Vortex cards (NT5 drivers are useless) or any early EAX games that don't sound right in 2K/XP.

Reply 10 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well honestly I wanted to use it for my gravis multiport but oh well