VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I bought this EXP8C49 Board that is an Cyrix 586 100MHZ soldered onto the board, I am trying to solve these issues and need help with it.

The CacheCheck tool says there is no L2 Cache the board displays 256k and when I tried it with one stick missing it didn't display any cache at all then, so it seems to be reading it that way but not with the program. Is there another program to try so I can be absolutely sure cache isn't reading or is that program foolproof?

The last thing is when I use any ISA video card I get this weird waviness on part of my monitor it's like some kind of interference or distortion, but I don't get it when using a PCI video card, is that normal because I am bench testing it with out it being in a case like some kind of RF interference?
I don't notice this much of it on other motherboards.

Speedsys picture on the third post.

Manual is here http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Data%20 … 8c49/index.html

DSC07977.jpg

DSC07979.jpg

DSC07980.jpg

DSC07981.jpg

DSC07982.jpg

DSC07983.jpg

DSC07986.jpg

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/D/DA … 86-EXP8C49.html

Last edited by Turboman on 2015-05-03, 05:06. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Always use version 4.78 of Speedsys. Your version is obsolete.
The graph shows a drop of the "moving" line after 256KB, so the cache is active, no worries. You may tighten the cache timings in the BIOS to see a higher difference between the L2 cache and the memory speed. Maybe Speedsys will detect the cache when the difference is bigger.

2. Download the program "cachechk" for a way better analysis of the cache(s) in your system. Download available from here: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/software.htm
3. Once the lithium barrel battery is empty you can remove it and easily solder a CR2032 battery holder to the available solder points.

Btw. nice find with the onboard cyrix. looks neat. The chipset is a relabeled Acer ALi Finali. Quite a good performer.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 2 of 4, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used that cache utility and it says "This machine seems to have one cache? cache is 16kb --199.4 MB/s 5.3 ns/byte (405%) 1.8 clks" "If you think you do have L2 cache, you might have Fake Cache chips"

I don't understand why it says that?

Here is the updated speedsys with 4.78

TEST.jpeg

234.jpeg

Reply 3 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your turbo switch in the correct position?

BTW, I've never seen a standard AT motherboard with a soldered Cyrix 5x86. That's super cool!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium