VOGONS

First post, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I need some assistance for MFM hard drives. I have a few drives that I am trying to test and it seems no matter what I do I can't get a response from the drives.
I have an IBM 5160 and I have a few controller cards. I got to the point where I no longer get the 1701 error but I can't seem to find debug on this floppy that I have. I also tried this on a 486 motherboard but can't get it to work. These are the hard drives that I have, ST-125, ST-412, ST-4038, ST-251 and Miniscribe 3438.
These are the cards that I have, WD10025-WX2, IBM 1501492 IBM5004403, SMS FAB 0005476 Rev B, WDXT-GEN2, WDXT-GEN2-PLUS, WD1004A-WX1, and Seagate ST-11m
With the ST-11M it boots before the floppy does with the bios 1.7 and says Hard Drive 1 detected drive 1 not initialized and asks me if I would like to run the initialization procedure Y or N, if I hit Y or N it just hangs it will not continue. I tried this both on the IBM and the 486, I also tried changing the address jumper no luck.
Now on the Gen2 Plus, that I have used on the IBM and Fdsik will see the drives but can not do anything with them just says error reading fixed disk. I have this floppy that is an old IBM Dos boot disk I think it's Dos 3 not sure. I also have this newer dos disk bot the IBM will not boot with it I think the floppy can't read it. I can use it with the 486 but can't get any of the controller cards to respond with the 486 so I can't use the newer boot disk.

So if anyone can point me in the right discretion or knows where I can get a proper boot disk that will work with the IBM that has debug let me know, or if there is a way to use any of these cards in a 486 motherboard.

DSC07795.jpg

DSC07796.jpg

DSC07797.jpg

DSC07798.jpg

DSC07799.jpg

DSC07800.jpg

DSC07801.jpg

DSC07802.jpg

DSC07803.jpg

DSC07804.jpg

DSC07784.jpg

DSC07787.jpg

DSC07788.jpg

DSC07790.jpg

DSC07791.jpg

DSC07792.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of those controllers are only designed to operate with certain drive types. Some of those later model WDs are probably your best shot. You're not going to get very far without running debug though. Usually the low level format utility is accessed by typing g=c800:5, but it depends on what address you have the card set to. That initiates the built in software utility in the card BIOS. The user friendliness varies from card to card, but you usually need to know important details about the drive to proceed, like how many cylinders, how many heads, interleave etc. Sometimes that is printed on the drive label.

Not sure how well 8-bit MFM/RLL controllers work in 16-bit motherboards boards.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 4, by Turboman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well so far I was able to get the WDXT-Gen2-Plus to read all the hard drives I can actually perform a LLF using g=c800:5, I was using that card on a 486 motherboard it has Super Bios II Rev 1.0 and it seems pretty easy to use it asks me what interleave I want to set the drive to and then asks me if I want to format bad sectors and if I want to dynamically set the drive. I skipped on formatting the bad sectors and dynamic settings. It seems to work but I don't know for sure if I am doing it correctly. I did notice the sound of the ST-251 has changed when it boots up since I formatted it I'm not sure what that meas I did? The card only seems to go up to 20mb so I can't go full size on the ST-251 or ST-4038 for example. For some reason I can not get the IBM big controller card to read the ST-412 which is the drive that came with the 5160 and that card. I don't get the 1701 error but it won't let fdisk. Any recommendations on what else I should do and what version DOS disk should I get that will work wit the Tandon drive to do debug with?

Reply 3 of 4, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I recall, with the interleave properly set a 20mb formatted 251 was back then considered a very bulletproof (and expensive) configuration.
I am assuming when you are in the BIOS you can manually select one of a number of drive types and not trying to format everything wile set on a 20mb drive preset. The 251 is six heads and 820 cylinders. A 225 is four heads and 615 cylinders.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 4 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty sure the MFM controller you want for larger drives is the WD 1002A-WX1. I ran that drive with dual ST 251s formatted to 40MB. I think it could handle larger ones though. The A in the model name is important. The 1002-WX1 only does 20MB. What's the 1004A-WX1 all about? The model name sounds promising.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium