VOGONS

First post, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry guys, my old PII Compaq system has an ESS onboard sound and I enjoy in Windows 98 and DOS my old Soundcard Zoltrix ISA PnP card (Win 9x ONLY, no Xp drivers) .
3 OS: MS-DOS and Win98 and Win XP, I set in bios the onboard sound enable (any address and irq woorks), boot on Win xp (Zoltrix disable in WinXp device manager by me) and evrething sounds good, now the problem comes when I boot in Win98 (ESS disable in device manager by me), i think that when it loads the Zoltrix drivers, it automatically disable in the BIOS the onboard ESS. So, when I need to boot again in Xp, again I have to manually enable the ESS in bios.... I really think there must be a trick to prevent Win98 disabling my onboard ESS in bios, the Zoltrix is an ISA PnP Card.

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try setting, in your BIOS, the Plug 'n Play aware OS setting to NO or Disabled.
If that doesn't work, write protect your BIOS. This will depend on your hardware setup as sometimes you can do this via jumper settings on your motherboard or, in the BIOS itself.

Reply 2 of 5, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pitifully there aint any of those options, it's a an old Compaq mobo. I dunno how the OS tells the bios there's another soundcard,or how is that triggered, maybe it detects a board on IRQ 5, maybe there's no solution with this crippled compaq bios settings

Reply 3 of 5, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Under PCI / ISA Resources in BIOS you would have the Plug 'n Play aware OS setting but since you are running an OEM Compaq, I don't think you have that option. Search thoroughly in bios - some OEM machines have it, but it's named differently like PnP OS or something.

Reply 4 of 5, by piportill4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found that if the onboard ESS is disable in bios (just like after a Win98 reboot), if i set manually irq dma in WinXp (Windows tells firmware is blocked by bios), it automatically enable the onboard sound in bios, so the thing is:
1)Onboard enable in bios - Boot in Win98, ISA sounds good
2)Reboot to WinXp , no sound at all but onboard sound is manually setted, just reboot WinXp and now it sounds (OS reboot re-enable the onboard)

any way around this!?