Thank you!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 21 of 34, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Strange, when I select to overwrite and setup harddrive 0 on EZ-Drive, it says "Problem: 0093". Going back to my directory on the A:\ drive.

Ah, I've seen this recently. I hope you have another pc, whatever, just to use it to install EZ-Drive on the car. Then just put it back in the Gateway and that's it. Trust me, its worth the effort and most probably it'll work even though it seems weird.

Reply 22 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Strange, when I select to overwrite and setup harddrive 0 on EZ-Drive, it says "Problem: 0093". Going back to my directory on the A:\ drive.

Ah, I've seen this recently. I hope you have another pc, whatever, just to use it to install EZ-Drive on the car. Then just put it back in the Gateway and that's it. Trust me, its worth the effort and most probably it'll work even though it seems weird.

Hmm, weird again... when I tried it on another machine I get the same exact error. And this machine for a fact works 100% well with my CF cards.

Reply 23 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Where can I purchase the bottom one at? Make, model, source?

I forgot where exactly I got it, but they're pretty generic and sold everywhere.

For example: here

So those finally came in, however the situation is exactly the same. Write is fine, read is a no go.

Though these adapters seem to keep from causing odd issues with my ISA Promise EIDE cards like the Syba adapters do. Though the Promise EIDE cards still don't seem to detect my CF cards.

Hmm, could trying a different brand of CF card be a wise idea? I've been using Transcend cards.

Also, anyone know of any IDE to SD card adapters? I may give one of those a try as well.

Reply 24 of 34, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Hmm, could trying a different brand of CF card be a wise idea? I've been using Transcend cards.

So, I just encountered the exact same behaviour with a Trancend card. I even returned it and got a new one because I was convinced it was faulty 😊 Then I remembered about this discussion here...

Is by any chance the card that was causing you trouble this one?
25518_1279272520.jpg

Also what did you end up doing? Changed the card or did you come up with some wild idea?

Reply 25 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:
So, I just encountered the exact same behaviour with a Trancend card. I even returned it and got a new one because I was convinc […]
Show full quote
ReeseRiverson wrote:

So, I just encountered the exact same behaviour with a Trancend card. I even returned it and got a new one because I was convinced it was faulty 😊 Then I remembered about this discussion here...

Is by any chance the card that was causing you trouble this one?
25518_1279272520.jpg

Also what did you end up doing? Changed the card or did you come up with some wild idea?

That same speed and series in 1GB and 2GB card sizes. Even tried the Transcend 300X cards between 128MB to 1GB with the same issue.

So unless I find a different brand of CF card to try, I'm currently waiting on an IDE to SD adapter and one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351392698164?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reply 26 of 34, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"The CF card is identified by the BIOS and OS, but as soon as the BIOS or the OS attempts some UDMA transfer, that IO transaction immediately grinds to a screeching halt, maybe followed by a series of pathetic messages about timeouts and bus resets."

http://www.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/cf.html

Basically you're using an capable MWDMA/UDMA CF card in a PIO-only wired CF adapter, which causes the exact problem that you are describing. Workarounds without buying a new DMA-capable CF adapter? Mod your CF adapter as described in the page, or use an PIO-Only mode CF card with it.

Reply 27 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote:

"The CF card is identified by the BIOS and OS, but as soon as the BIOS or the OS attempts some UDMA transfer, that IO transaction immediately grinds to a screeching halt, maybe followed by a series of pathetic messages about timeouts and bus resets."

http://www.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/cf.html

Basically you're using an capable MWDMA/UDMA CF card in a PIO-only wired CF adapter, which causes the exact problem that you are describing. Workarounds without buying a new DMA-capable CF adapter? Mod your CF adapter as described in the page, or use an PIO-Only mode CF card with it.

Do you know of any DMA-capable CF adapters out there?

This is what I currently have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16812186002 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Pin-CF-To-IDE-Comp … E:X:EAC:US:3160

Reply 28 of 34, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Without having high-res photos of the adapters to check the real state of the CF socket pins is a hit-or-miss... But i've read on forums that many people had problems with the Syba adapter of the first link, while generally the second one has more success reviews even if it looks more "simple". So my guess is that the adapter in the second link is the proper wired one, from the links that you gave.

Reply 29 of 34, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a few of that second linked adapter. No issues with DMA. Enabled DMA in Windows 98 many times. It was the cheapest CF adapter I could fine of the bracket type. The other ones, that go directly into the IDE port, I had mixed results. Not so much with DMA, but with them dying on me.

So I stuck with the bracket type and haven't had any issues.

You can also get the drive bay adapter, but they cost a lot more. StarTech.com sell them.

Reply 30 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, thing is, the second one gives the same issue the first one does.

Drive bay option would be rather impossible due to machine case itself, having only one 3.5" and 5.25" bay. I don't really want to sacrifice either drives occupying them.

Reply 31 of 34, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you been able to test them on another machine? Something newer?

Reply 32 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Have you been able to test them on another machine? Something newer?

I have no problems with these adapters and cards on other machines. I use the Syba ones on my Acer Pentium system, a few random Pentium systems I've built, 486 PCI systems... Now granted I've not gotten as far as many older systems than this.

Reply 33 of 34, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, good news! Brilliant news!

Ever since my discovery with the Promise EIDE Max controller in my other thread here... Re: Promise EIDE Max ISA Controllers won't read any flash solutions? At all? (Solved)
I have decided to test out my compact flash cards again, instead of just simply having the IDE Trascend SSD in the main IDE header. Well, since Promise's BIOS is now in control, it's like my issues with CF cards are gone, over with. I just copied over Bubble Ghost from the floppy over to the CF card and it loaded instantly. Where before when the motherboards BIOS was only in control of what drives are in place, it would hang up.

So I'm really excited that I can move onward with this system (finally!) 😎

Now I just am waiting for an SCSI controller to arrive so I can start getting some fun started with external CD-ROM drives!

Reply 34 of 34, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's great news 😀