VOGONS

First post, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking for some advice as I'm very new to the world of soldering and de-soldering.

Attached is a picture of a 386/486 combo motherboard.
As can be seen from the picture, although there is a place for the 386 CPU, it's missing the 386 PGA socket.

Suppose I do have an old 386 (non functional) motherboard and I wanted to solder that PGA socket onto this motherboard, what does one have to do?
I presume that to de-solder the socket from the old motherboard is a case of just using a de-soldering iron and "unplugging" it?
However, how does one go about in "opening" up the soldering points where the socket must fit into this motherboard?
Once I can open up the holes, then it should be straight forward to just solder each contact point?

Attachments

• motherboard.jpg
    Filename
    motherboard.jpg
    File size
    268.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    386/486 Combo motherboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There might be other components missing, It would help if you could get a picture of the same board that has everything in place so you could compare. Or at least a manual to see what settings are needed for 386 mode.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you are thinking of having a 386 with VLB slots, it won't work. I hate to rain on that parade, but the 386 just doesn't have the interconnects for it.

That said, soldering braid wick is what you are looking for. its relatively cheap and easy to use.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

if you are thinking of having a 386 with VLB slots, it won't work. I hate to rain on that parade, but the 386 just doesn't have the interconnects for it.

That said, soldering braid wick is what you are looking for. its relatively cheap and easy to use.

It'll take an age and a half to desolder that socket with braid. A solder-sucker would do a better job, I think.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Not actually interested in the Vesa Local Bus slots. I used to have a similar board (which unfortunately died a while ago) and I know it doesn't work that well with a 386 CPU.
Just interested to see if one can solder a 386 PGA socket onto the board and how easy it would be.

Seems like it be done without too much frustration.
The only issue is to check whether all the components are there for the 386 CPU to be recognised by the motherboard.

Reply 5 of 9, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all ... don't teach yourself to solder on hardware you don't want to break. Practice on some junk hardware (either useless stuff like VCRs or stuff that's known to be broken/of little value).

Better get a soldering station + solder sucker/desoldering pump. There are combined ones but those either suck (no pun intended) or start at a price range above the usual investment for a possible "one time thing"
Desoldering braid for is SMD and/or cleanup.
Doesn't matter if the solder point are actually populated with parts or just flooded with tin.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 7 of 9, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Are you stating for this board or in general? As I have one 386/486 combo VLB board with OPTi chipset and VLB cards work normally.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't even need a solder sucker to open the holes. Just use a pin and a low wattage soldering iron. It's a bit tedious, but it works. I've added sockets to boards several times this way before.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 9, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Are you stating for this board or in general? As I have one 386/486 combo VLB board with OPTi chipset and VLB cards work normally.

I recall that, on my previous 386/486 combo board, my VLB IDE controller worked fine but, my S3 805 VLB graphics card didn't. Although, I think it was merely an incompatibility issue and not related to which CPU was installed on the board because, the VLB graphics card worked fine on other boards.

shock__ wrote:

First of all ... don't teach yourself to solder on hardware you don't want to break. Practice on some junk hardware (either useless stuff like VCRs or stuff that's known to be broken/of little value).
Better get a soldering station + solder sucker/desoldering pump. There are combined ones but those either suck (no pun intended) or start at a price range above the usual investment for a possible "one time thing"

I bought myself a soldering iron and a separate desoldering pump. So far, I've had great success with desoldering the old batteries off my old motherboards.
I have practiced a bit my soldering skills on an old power supply of mine that wasn't functioning anymore (removed the soldered fuse, replaced it with a fuse holder and inserted a new fuse but, unfortunately, it was still dead).